Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tick question?

Old 04-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Tick question?

I was just wondering what you all know about ticks.I have been exposed to them for many years,yet this weekend I had my wife look at (on the back of my head)what I thought might be melanoma,or a bump.I had been feeling it for the last few days and did'nt think much of it.Anyhow she did indeed pull it off (head in tact)and it was pretty big as if it had been there a few days,and from what I remember it was.Anyhow my neck has been sore most of the day,Maybe cause I slept on the couch(not sure)I wonder if I should get it checked out.I wonder if there has been in cases of Lyme here in northern Illinois?Also what other things besides Lyme can occur?I kniw you can experience joint pain or arthritic typ conditions,also something about a bullzeye type of rash??Any coments are apreciated.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Tick question?

I dont claim to be any expert but you should definately get it checked out. I have 2 family members with Lymes. The sooner the better. Probably nothing but its better not to risk it
Old 04-25-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ticks carry a couple of diseases. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, Lyme, and a couple more I dont remember. I've been wiping them off myself or killing them every time I've been in the woods since it started warming up, and always check myself, but they are sneaky buggers. I just yanked one out of my leg last week, and since I was gonna get blood drawn this week anyway, I had the doc add Lyme disease to the list of tests to be done. haven't heard back yet. My turkey season opens in 2 days, gonna spray my stuff down with permethrin to repel ticks. I hate those buggers.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:47 PM

Lyme disease comes from the deer tick. It is a very small tick and rather hard to see, especially with my eyes. You definately should get checked out. I had two family members die of Lyme disease in PA.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Get checked out.,Lyme disease is devasting . Not all ticks cARRY IT.But getting on antibiotics will knock it out early if in deed your tick was a carrier.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why play around the test is a simple blood test and if caught early enough light antibiotics will take care of it. If you let it progress you could be a mess. 2 days ago I was reading the obits in our local paper and in it a 32 year old died from as the paper put complications fromLyme deseise. Go get checked Mike
Old 04-26-2006, 07:31 AM
Fork Horn

well most times you will know you have lymes diease because there well be like a ring around the tick bite but i would go get it checked out just to be on the safe side
Old 04-26-2006, 07:39 AM

I guess we're quite fortunate for at least one thing up here in Canada,very low numbers of Lyme disease. I've had deer tics on me and my hounds ,I removed them with no ill effect
Once when I was in the thousand islands I got a tic on my neck, not a deer tic this sucker was black with a white diamond in the middle of it's back.I was told these were more likely to be carries of Lyme disease.

Old 04-26-2006, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

I pulled a greyish colored one off my dog the other day. It was about the size of a wooden match head. I got it out with the head attached and was suprised how hard I had to pull to get it off. We seldom get ticks here but they are becomming more numerous for some reason.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 AM
Typical Buck

Definitely get checked out, not all cases develop the "bulls-eye" rash. My father in law pulled a deer tick off of his leg the other day, we are awaiting the results of his blood test.

Quick Reply: Tick question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.