Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tick question?

Old 04-26-2006, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Tick question?

yea i would definently get it checked out those damn things carry tons of diseases. they can get pretty bad here in montana in the summer too as soon as the weather gets nice i check myself every time i go into the woods.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

After hunting in Illinois for a few years and recently moving from Michigan to Iowa, I can't keep them off me. I pull several ticks off everytime I get in from the field, and I don't really think they're is much you can do. I have heard (don't remember where) that it is quite rare to get Lyme disease. Sure hoping so anyway!
Old 04-26-2006, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

If it doesnt itch like a b&*%, and have the ring "bulseye" look to it. It is not Lymes disease. Get it checked out if you want, I personlly wouldnt worry to much. I have already picked probly 50 off me this year.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tick Update:

You probably wouldn't believe me, but no-more than 5 minutes after writing the above post, I feel a "tickle" on my knee. Just anouther deer tick! No-wonder I can't sleep because I feel "creepy-crawlers" all over me! he he he.....
Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

You are wise to get it checked out! THe effects of waiting can be severe if the tick was carrying lyme.From what I understand the blood tests are not 100% conclusive.Physicians around here will get you on antibiotics if you are exhibiting the symptoms of Lyme diease even if your test came back negative.
I stopped hunting on the other side of the Hudson River in my area of New York state because the incidences of tick infestation and Lyme diesease were so much greater in that area.Get tested!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:46 PM

Man i haven't even been in the woods recently, and i am already itching just thinking about it.. I hate those damn things.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Absolutely get it checked out. Better to be safe than sorry. The deer tick is the one that carries Lyme disease and from what I have read and seen the area around where the tick was inbedded will look like a bullseye (white dot in the middle where the tick/bite was and bright red out around it) Here is PA I think the disease is pretty common and I pulled 4 off of myself and my dog after a hike in the woodsin early March after a warm snap. Fortunately they were on my pants and on top of the dog's hair that they hadn't gotten down into the skin yet.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:41 PM

I am not a doctor but am a Medical Laboratory Supervisor, go get it checked out. Best of luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I spend lots of time in the woods and haven't ever had a tick on me...no lie.I live in northern Vt and the other day I found one on the dog. I don't know much about them because until recently there weren't any here, or they were very rare,in this part of the state. How long does it take to have them attach? If I brush the dog down real well after we get back home will it sweep them out? Since I found one on her I feel itchy and have stressed out about them. I hear that they have slowely been working their way north and all my deer hunting has been in the cold climates where they aren't a problem.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Champlain,
They can take a while to engorge and burrow,you want to get assistance if they are already in you,fully or partially.I understand that you don't want to attempt to take them out if they are partially in because if you sever them they can excrete the lyme in to you.When I was hunting on the other side of the Hudson I would get tested every year just out of precaution.They don't always show a bullseye rash.They will gravitate toward warm moist area's on your body.I used to drive my wife crazy with my requests that she look me over thoroughly.Make sure you look behind your knee's your scalp etc.Dogs are easy to treat with tick treatments.A liquid down their spinal column every few weeks and they are protected.If you are interested I can find the name of the dog medication.

Quick Reply: Tick question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.