Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tick question?

Old 04-27-2006, 05:50 PM

Default RE: Tick question?

I hate those filthy buggers...I'm always finding them skulking around, especially after I finish working in myfield...SometimesI find three or four of them suckers on me at a time, seems like the darn things are everywhere...
Old 04-28-2006, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tsoc

Champlain,
They can take a while to engorge and burrow,you want to get assistance if they are already in you,fully or partially.I understand that you don't want to attempt to take them out if they are partially in because if you sever them they can excrete the lyme in to you.When I was hunting on the other side of the Hudson I would get tested every year just out of precaution.They don't always show a bullseye rash.They will gravitate toward warm moist area's on your body.I used to drive my wife crazy with my requests that she look me over thoroughly.Make sure you look behind your knee's your scalp etc.Dogs are easy to treat with tick treatments.A liquid down their spinal column every few weeks and they are protected.If you are interested I can find the name of the dog medication.
Please let us all know about any product that will help the dogs. I have a friend who lives in CT and he said he can walk in the woods all around his 3 acres and after coming home will usually find a few almost every time. I don't think I could deal with that hassel. I have lived here all my life and ticks were never even heard of until just the last few years. I could feel the bump with the dog and was shocked to see what it was. I worry more about her than me.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:10 AM

Pay attention here is a little trick I learned while being a proud Navy Corpman. When in the field buy you a coupleof flea and tick collars and attach them around the ankles of your boots and it will reduce the chances of them crawing up your pant legs. If you are wearing long sleeves you can do the same with the cuffs of your shirt.
Old 04-28-2006, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

My wife gets this Flea,tick and skeeter medicine called K9 advantix,it's not cheap but is supposed to work great.I think it's 60$ for 6 months.We just came from the woods(morrel hunting)and so far my wife was the only one with ticks this timeOh yeah We found some morrels too
Old 04-28-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just had blood drawn for routine tests and the doc is adding lymes disease to the mix this year. I have had some joint pain but it could be from jiu-jitsu.lol Doctor told me that they believe a deer tick which can carry the disease but not always must be attached and dug into you for 48 hours to even transmit the disease. And even if they do carry it its a real small percentage that you contract it. Weird I know, but go get checked for the sake of it.

I only found 1 deer tick ever on me and it was the only one I had ever saw in my life. It was a tiny bugger and if it were not on my arm I would of never saw it. He was not clamped on thank god but they are definetly here in Minnesota.
Old 04-29-2006, 05:54 AM
Typical Buck

I wonder if they are here in Illinois Tribal?I am only 43years old,but have had joint paint for I'll bet twenty years.I have always loved the woods and waters,and have allways spent alot of my free time whenever possible, either hunting Rabbits,deer,pheasant squirrel,or wading creeeks hunting crawdads or fishing for smallies ,creek chubs or bluegills .I have been doing this since I was old enough to open the front door of the house and make my escapeAnd maybe When I was a kid had a tick bite that caused this ,or it could be from my life of playing and working hard too I'm not sure.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:20 AM

It is funny, of all the ticks I have found on me, I have never to my knowledge seen a deer tick. I guess that is a good thing.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Typical Buck

If you have been exposed to a tick bite for that long it would be a good idea to get it checked out just for your safety.

Old 04-29-2006, 04:38 PM

After reading all of this it is so nice to live in an area that has very, very few ticks. I can't imagine what it would be like with so many around as I am sure me and my dogs would be covered. Hope ya'll do well staying away from them this year.
Old 04-29-2006, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

If it doesnt itch like a b&*%, and have the ring "bulseye" look to it. It is not Lymes disease. Get it checked out if you want, I personlly wouldnt worry to much. I have already picked probly 50 off me this year.
you couldn't be more WRONG!!!
my husband has had it going on 5yrs now and it's right up with cancer and aides....he NEVER got the bullseye rash....we were even told that he didn't have to worry about it because we live in florida...they were WRONG as well...he had never hunted anywhere but florida...he broke out in a poison ivy like rash and then got flu like systems shortly after walking through a nest of them...he had them everywhere....then a few months later his joints started to hurt and he was diagnosed with neuropathy....he was tested for everything and anything and the lymes was the only one to come back positive...5 different tests came back positive....y'all need to do everything you can to prevent it (buy permanone (sp?)) and if you do get bit find the tick and bag it and get your butt to the doctors office!! this is not the time to think you're invincible.

Quick Reply: Tick question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.