Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Looking to Bowhunt Alaska >

Looking to Bowhunt Alaska

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Looking to Bowhunt Alaska

Old 04-11-2006, 08:29 AM
Spike

Default Looking to Bowhunt Alaska

My buddies and I would love to bowhunt Alaska for caribou but there are a ton of outfitters and air services. We are looking for any first hand information on a good company to use. Your help would be very appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Spike

Default RE: Looking to Bowhunt Alaska

My airplane mechanic spends most of the fall headquartered in Iliamna flying clients in for some lodges and also does drop off hunts. Because he flies the area a lot he is aware of where the caribou are centered. He has a well maintained plane, is a very good pilot and would treat you fairly for drop off hunts. 907-688-4043 Precision Plus. Most of the other pilots I know do guiding rather than drop off hunts.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

My brother lives up there and does some part time guiding. PM me and ill get you his cell #
Old 04-11-2006, 11:59 AM

Caribou herds have fluctuated from what they were even a few years ago. If you want to hunt the Mulchatna herd I suggest Papa Bear Adventures out of Bethel, everyone that has used them that I know has been extremely happy. I wouldn't recommend trying to access that herd from Anchorage or the Kenai Peninsula (Soldotna, Kenai, Homer). The herd is ranging too far away to be consistantly reached from those points. Another good bet is to hunt the Western Arctic herd out of Kotzebue but my contacts up there have retired since my last trip up there for moose. Ask around on the Alaska hunting forum: http://outdoorsdirectory.com/akforum/