Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Favorite types of trees for stands >

Favorite types of trees for stands

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Favorite types of trees for stands

Old 04-04-2006, 11:09 AM

Default RE: Favorite types of trees for stands

Slash pine is the only choice in the Big Cypress swamp.
Old 04-04-2006, 11:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Any tree with3 big branches, main trunk with 2 or 3 branches I can sit right in the middle of. I have an old maple I have hunted for 12 years out of, sit right in the middle of 4 branches around me. I can dance the jig, and the deer have no idea. Second choice is oak tree, can get real high and plenty of cover.
Old 04-04-2006, 02:30 PM
Site Buck Guru

Whatever tree is sturdy enough to allow me to get up 20+ feet and be 15 - 20 yards from the only trail in a bottleneck.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:08 PM

I usually try to hunt form Oak trees, mainly because when snow is on the ground and all other trees have dropped leaves, oaks tend to hold theirs and that gives you some good breakup cover.

I WILL NOT hunt from a hickory. The wood is so hard and bark so slippery, it is impossible to get a portable stand to bite into it, and if you do, you never know when it may slip ( I know form experience). Plus its a real b!tch getting steps screwed into a hickory
Old 04-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Not any particular flavor of tree as much as what it offers. First it must be in the right place, whether its a food source or on an intercept course. THen I look for cover. Cover can come in many forms. It can be multiple trees in a wad(I love two or threes). It can be a tree with small full trees growing up near it to give me cover. It can be a tree that allows me to lasso and pull other trees and branches in around me for cover. Nothing worse than a 220 pound man hanging on the side of a 12 inch tree with nothing around him. It can be a tree with a lot of vines and things hanging all over it that I can blend in with. I don't care what flavor it is as long as deer pass near it and I'm hidden.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:20 PM

A tree that is easy to climb without sawing much and if it is in a good spot, i sit in all kinds of trees including pines, oaks, ect.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

White oaks and ladder stands are my prefered setup early. Later in the season I'll go to a red oak thats still holding some leaves. The deer around here will devour the white oak acorns first then move to the reds & pin oaks later in the year.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Personally, I love to hunt pines. Not big dark open pine forests, but smaller patches of pines with some hardwoods mixed in. Most of my stands are in thick imature/mature pines.
Same Here. My favorite stand position for my ladder stands is on a nice big hardwood that has a pine or spruce within a few feet of it. I can then set my ladder in the hardwood w/o cutting braches, but then I can use the pine for concelement were I can set the stand up right in the middle of it. Almost all of my ladders are like this.

I'm hoping to get a climber for the upcoming season and I imagine I will use the same technique for picking trees for that stand as well.

Combine that tree setup with a nearby funnel, and I'm in heaven!!
Old 04-04-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like what Davidmil said about "an intercept course". That's how my favorite tree location would be described as.

A nice straight sweetgum tree a few yards away from a bunch of oaks. The trees are 20 yards parallel to a trail and on the other side of the trail is a tangle of overgrowth, thickets, briars. I can climb perfectly to 22' in that sweetgum tree and overlook the acorns on the ground, and to the left side of me, I can overlook the small field of brush, thickets, etc... It's a perfect setup!