Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tree Stands for BIG trees?? >

Tree Stands for BIG trees??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tree Stands for BIG trees??

Old 05-28-2004, 03:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tree Stands for BIG trees??

I can hunt an old clear cut where some seed trees were left standing. These big oaks are 30 inches+ in diameter and draw deer when the acorns drop. (I've hunted the edge of the cut and have also tried ground blinds...). Anyone have any suggestions on portable climbing stands or portable ladder/hang-on combos that be used on BIG trees to get 20 feet+ off the ground?
-fsh
Old 05-28-2004, 06:32 AM

Default RE: Tree Stands for BIG trees??

I've thought about the same thing. I would like to make a cable extension for my Ol' Man climber. I hunt areas with some really large trees, and I prefer a climber. I have to set mine up over my head to get above the giant bases(water oaks) and pull myself up. A cable extension would be ok for an Ol' Man, except you'd have to be careful how you did the loops so they would be flat where your pins go.

I haven't ever seen a stand advertised for a tree that large(30"). It might have to be a custom job.
Old 05-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Even if you could get your arms around the tree to attach the cable you may not be able to get the cable to move up the tree as you climb.
My suggestion would be either a permanent style or ladder stand built to the height you want. Either of these would probably be safer that a climber with an extended cable.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ladder stand is going to have to be your choice of poison im afraid.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

OR.... you can dig a pit and camo it.
Old 05-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Being here in Idaho, I have yet to hang my treestands (over elk wallows) in a tree that I could use a climbing stand. I don't use a ladder style, too much weight to pack in. But someday I would like to try sitting in a ladder and climbing stand. I've heard both are more comfortable than a hang on.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to hunt large diameter trees because they help to hide my outline. My Ol' Man climber isn't even close to fitting most of them and they're loaded with big branches anyway. The stand I use 95% of the time is the Vantage Point which I believe is no longer produced. It attaches to the tree with a long lag screw pin. It's strong, fits every tree--no matter what size, and gets me into trees that no other stand will fit.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:03 PM

Try and find one of the old Vantage Point hang on stand. They used a large pin to hang on. I put one up in a very large tulip tree (over 30" circumface) I then used a long ratchet strap for secondary security. The stand worked great until some peice of garbage stole it I would also contact Chippiwa Wedge lock stands, they work great and the owner might be able to help you out with a longer chain set up.
Good luck,

Bmott
Old 05-29-2004, 10:50 PM
Fork Horn

On some of the bigger trees I use two straps for the first stick on the lone wolf sticks. Can't see any reason that you couldn't use two on the hang on. The problem would be reaching around the tree to get a hold of the strap. Otherwise they work real well.
Old 05-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Fork Horn

Rivers edge is a perfect stand