Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Is this too young? >

Is this too young?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is this too young?

Old 01-11-2002, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is this too young?

I just got my first bow, and my 5 yr old son is showing lots of interest and wants his own. Is he too young to try archery? I would want a bow capable of hitting something without holding way high. He's tall but real thin. I just don't want him to become frustrated & quit if it's too much for him to shoot a bow now. There seem to be some decent youth bows, so I don't mind spending to get quality. I suppose it would be best to have him set up by the shop I got my stuff at to avoid ill fitting equipment. Any advise or recommendations on bows, etc is appreciated. Thanks.

Phil.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is this too young?

sorry about the double post.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 4 year old is shooting now, been doing it since he was 3. At first he could just get the bow back far enough to stick an arrow in the hay, now he is shooting very well( in my opinon anyway) for a 4 year old. He is a little bigger than most kids his age, but the most important thing is to make it fun for you kids. Pse and golden eagle make some very good youth bows, heck even the less exspensive bows should be fun!

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 01-11-2002, 07:22 PM

My daughter is the same age I just went out and bought her one of the little indian compounds. I couldnt find any bows that would fit her so I bought this one. The draw length is to long for her but she has a blast shooting with it and it teaches her the basics of shooting. Its hard to find a bow to fit a kid that age.
Old 01-11-2002, 07:34 PM

pdq, Its never to young to start him. I got my son(5) and my daughter(8) a youth compound to get them started. Being that they are small I had to modify it alittle. As for hitting high, you need to start him in very close. I try to make it as fun for them as you can. Remember kids need to have fun or they will get frustrated.

I keep our shooting sessions short and I start them in at 10 yards. I put a dollar on the deers vitals and give each of them 10 shots to get it. Heck... some of the time the arrow doesn't stick in it, but in time it will and as long as they are hitting somewhere near the dollar i'm happy.

It would be best to have the shop set him up. This way they have your son there to fit.

Hope this helps.
G
Old 01-11-2002, 07:37 PM

You are never too young. If he is showing an interest then follow up on that by giving him something to shoot.

My dad was not a bowhunter but a gun hunter, He dragged me out with him early and had me shooting a youth model 20 ga. by 5th grade. I've had more hunting experiences by 38 than most will have in a life time because I started so young.

Lefty Llewellyn
Old 01-11-2002, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

My daughter was 4 when she started and my 3 year old son loves his 5# recurve that his pa paw made for him.Remember to let them go at their own pace and do not try to force it.Keep them close and you will be surprised at how well they will do .Frustration will be more of an issue for you than the little ones,they are usually amazed at just letting arrows fly.My daughter that is 7 now does get frustrated but you must put it into perspective for them,ask them if they are having fun and if the answer is no,let them quit and try again later.This will not make them a quitter but will make them have more fun.

1 thing we do for the kids at the local trifest is setup a booth with hundreds of ballons and let them shoot.They will bust a ballon and their confidence will go thru the roof.They are hooked and keep coming back for more.The free suckers don't hurt either.
Old 01-11-2002, 08:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'm gonna get him a bow tomorrow!!