Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you look for in an archery shop? >

What do you look for in an archery shop?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you look for in an archery shop?

Old 03-20-2006, 05:36 PM

Default What do you look for in an archery shop?

Doing a little research here
Just wondering what all of you look for in a shop?
Why do you do business with the shop you choose?

Just some examples

Selection of products,specific brands?
Prices?
Bow range and what typedo you prefer,3D,just targets against the wall,electronic movie screen type, ground level and/or tree stand height?
Demo bows you can try before you buy?
Knowlege of bows?
Knowledge of hunting?
Leagues to shoot in?

Do you just buy your bows there or do you buy all the other stuff too?
Camo
Calls
Scents
Soaps
Boots
Arrows
Releases
Broadheads
Blinds
Decoys

There are no bow shops in my area that also have a range to shoot at and we can't shoot in our backyards(city law).
Got me thinking.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do you look for in an archery shop?

What I look for is a staff that know there stuff. If I ask a technical question they should be able to answer it. Secondly, friendly and personable, I want to be treated like a friend. And I don't like people pushing their own agenda. When I bought my last bow, I talked to 3 guys at this pro shop, 1 shot for Hoyt, guess which bow he pushed, 1 shot for Parker, etc etc etc. I went in telling them what I was looking for brand name and all, but they never showed me what I wanted, just kept pushing me toward the bows they wanted me to buy. The shop I use now, they're great. I buy all kinds of stuff, scent control, camo, arrows. As a matter of fact, took my son cause he is saving to buy a bow, one of the staff tells him, "if you save the money and get the bow, I'll buy your arrows". I also know they all hunt, cause I am mounting stuff forjust about allof them. ADDED BONUS! Good luck. Carry as many brands as you can, make people enjoycoming in, make a decent profit and you'll succeed!
Old 03-20-2006, 06:04 PM

Buellhunter, this is a great question. First and foremost, i look for a great owner. someone who is reliable, trustworthy and just an all around good person. them, and their employes should know what they are talking about for sure. its bad enough walking into places, such as gander mountain where i live and having employees who do not know what they are talking about. when i walk into my local archery shop i like to see what they have as a selection, it donsnt have to be super huge, but is nice that i know that if i need something from my archery shop, if they dont have it on stock, that they can order it! as for prices, i dont think they should over charge, obviously, but they need to make a living too! it is nice that there isa shooting range inside my local archery shop, when he gets done working on my bow, i like to shoot it to see if every thing is good! I also love it that there is a league i can shoot at, every wednesday i have somthing to look forward to. Especially in the winter, it is nice to go inside a bow range not that big, only about 50yrds. max, but its sufficiant. i buy most of my outdoor gear at my local bow shop, just because its close and i know and trust the owner. sorry if im rambling. thanks. MNFOWL
Old 03-20-2006, 08:11 PM
Dominant Buck

I look for a store that's named something like MacRotech. I want the owner to have a name like Len Marsh. I want him to really know his crap and anything and everything and more thanyou want to know about bows. I want him to stock about 15 different brands of bows and all sorts of accessories from target to hunting. I hope he has a staff that can fill in if he's busy. I want them to prosper and make money so they'll be around in 10 years. He therefore can't be the cheapest guy in town, but he isn't going to rip you either. He has to be a successful hunter. Dang, that's a tough order isn't it. Fortunately I found it.[8D][8D][8D][8D] Meet my pro shop owner.... Len Marsh.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:41 PM

Professional and knowledgeable customer service by each employee having high levels of knowledge of each product they stock. I believe if they do not know anything about the products then it shouldn’t be on the shelf. If a shop needs to hire people who don’t have these skills, then they shouldn’t be interacting with customers on the floor.

Good equipment on hand such as a calibrated chronograph, digital scales, etc. Not a 20-year-old fish scale with pulleys and rope.

I like a shop who will try and sale me a product because they truly believe in it. Not a shop that pushes a sale because it has a higher mark-up/profit margin for their personal gain.

I like a shop that has my arrows done with they say they will be done. Not having me driving 30 miles back and forth because they didn’t get the job done. Then when they are done, finding tip weights mixed and matched and inserts glued in on angles.

Fair prices so they can keep customers and still make a profit, not a 40% mark up from Internet prices. I can handle high prices when it’s followed by excellent customer service. High prices with poor customer service doesn’t work for me.

I’m not impressed by a shop who says I don’t need right helical fletching, then later I find out the real reason was because their right helical fletching jig has been broken for two months.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:56 PM

For me, it all comes down to customer service. Obviously, I would only want to deal with a staff that is knowledgable. More important to me is how they treat me as a customer. One small example would be if I needed a knock or field tip. If they charged me the twenty cents for it, after I had just bought an entire set up from them that would make me wonder. I would be totally willing to pay higher prices, if the service was great, that way, we both win. He has a customer for life, and I know where to go for what I need.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:12 AM

Thanks!
Keep them coming

Old 03-21-2006, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

First, they are friendly. Knowledgable, and variety, but willing to order if you want something differenct.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

A selection of bows including some 60# max models, not just the 70#ers....
Old 03-21-2006, 12:37 PM

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I look for a store that's named something like MacRotech. I want the owner to have a name like Len Marsh. I want him to really know his crap and anything and everything and more thanyou want to know about bows. I want him to stock about 15 different brands of bows and all sorts of accessories from target to hunting. I hope he has a staff that can fill in if he's busy. I want them to prosper and make money so they'll be around in 10 years. He therefore can't be the cheapest guy in town, but he isn't going to rip you either. He has to be a successful hunter. Dang, that's a tough order isn't it. Fortunately I found it.[8D][8D][8D][8D] Meet my pro shop owner.... Len Marsh.

Quick Reply: What do you look for in an archery shop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.