Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What do you look for in an archery shop? >

What do you look for in an archery shop?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you look for in an archery shop?

Old 03-21-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: What do you look for in an archery shop?

What about the range aspect?

Do you like target,3D or the electronic movie type best?

How long of shots should be offered if it is target or 3D?
Old 03-21-2006, 08:28 PM

Davidmil,

I thought you quit posting hero shots? [8D]

I don't look for much in my local shops.... They don't have much I'm interested in and are so over priced I just can't justify the costs... There is one guy about 1.5hrs a way that I do enjoy giving my cash to...
Old 03-21-2006, 08:31 PM

Care to share why you like that shop and are willing to travel 3 hrs round trip to do business there?
Old 03-22-2006, 01:17 AM

What ILook For In An Archery Shop:

ONE THAT IS NOT 4 HOURS AWAY

(Being an avid hunter in CA can suck[:@])
Old 03-22-2006, 04:54 AM

at the shop down the road they have a little 3d shoot every wed evening. its $10 to get in, usually teams drawn randomly, and the winners take half the pot. the rest of the money goes into a pot for more targets. its outdoor, and none of us mind losing because sometimes we win, and we know we're raising $ for more targets.
Old 03-22-2006, 06:29 PM

Interesting question. I think owner/staff almost has to be #1. One guy in my area deals Hoyt, Matthews, and Reflex. The other guy has the Bowtechs, Diamonds,and Parkers.

My first bow was a Parker because after shooting at both shops and looking at my budget, I based my decisionlargelyon how willing to work with a newbie bowhunter with a million questions, my bow shop owner. He was more than willing to put me on the range with any piece of equipment he had in the shop.He's also the reason whyafter shootingMatthews and Bowtechs, I will probably break the tieby going where my comfort leveland helpful bowshop owner are.

To me, there is no substitute.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies!
I am thinking a shop with a 3D range that simulates hunting situations more than most.
Setups for the shot that would include fences,brush,tree branches that partially block the target,elevated shooting positions to simulate tree stand shooting,ranges from 10-50 yards. Tree stand platform dimensions taped off on the elevated portion with poles to imitate the treeso you have to shoot some from in front,some to the side and some behind the "tree" like it often happens while actually hunting.
Simulated ground blinds on some ofthe floor level stations where you need to shoot from sitting or kneeling positions.
Make it as much like hunting as possible and change things around every month to keep it fresh,fun and challenging.
Timed competitions where you hurry from station to station to get the heart rate up and add pressure to the shot to imitate the "buck fever heartbeat"

Thinking10 stations where you shoot 5 arrows so 50 arrows per round. Also a regular range for those that just want to shoot their bow,sight in and so on. Of course paper tuning and a chono available.

Mathews(my currentbow brand) and Bowtech are already spoken for in my area so I am thinking more of newcomers like Ross as a bow brand to represent.

Sound like fun?

Old 03-22-2006, 08:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Davidmil,

I thought you quit posting hero shots?
It's not a hero shot....it's a friend/successful/great shop owner shot. You know what they say, "A picture's worth ......." etc etc.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Buellhunter

Thanks for all the replies!
I am thinking a shop with a 3D range that simulates hunting situations more than most.
Setups for the shot that would include fences,brush,tree branches that partially block the target,elevated shooting positions to simulate tree stand shooting,ranges from 10-50 yards. Tree stand platform dimensions taped off on the elevated portion with poles to imitate the treeso you have to shoot some from in front,some to the side and some behind the "tree" like it often happens while actually hunting.
Simulated ground blinds on some ofthe floor level stations where you need to shoot from sitting or kneeling positions.
Make it as much like hunting as possible and change things around every month to keep it fresh,fun and challenging.
Timed competitions where you hurry from station to station to get the heart rate up and add pressure to the shot to imitate the "buck fever heartbeat"

Thinking10 stations where you shoot 5 arrows so 50 arrows per round. Also a regular range for those that just want to shoot their bow,sight in and so on. Of course paper tuning and a chono available.

Mathews(my currentbow brand) and Bowtech are already spoken for in my area so I am thinking more of newcomers like Ross as a bow brand to represent.

Sound like fun?

i dont really like that idea, after about 10 shots it would be really lame and just get anoying with all the branches in the way...

it would be good to have alot of different yardages, target AND 3d would be a good thing too
Old 03-23-2006, 05:44 AM

Thank you for your honest opinion.

I just feel that as hunters,we should practice in scenarios as close to real hunting as we can.
I think a range like this would make any of us a better hunter.
The reasons you think it would be lame are the same reasons I think it would be very effective in making those tough shots while hunting easier for most bow hunters.
I seldom get wide open,exact yardage shots where the animal stands exactly in the right spot while hunting.

Of course that's why I would have the more traditional range for those, like you that would prefer to practice in that way.
Something for all types of shooters/hunters!

Quick Reply: What do you look for in an archery shop?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.