Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Turkeys from a treestand >

Turkeys from a treestand

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Turkeys from a treestand

Old 02-14-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Turkeys from a treestand

In michigan it is legal to bowhunt turkeys from a treestand. I'm planning on doing this in the spring. We have a rye field that turkeys visit. I'm planning on setting up in a tree along the edge of the field and calling with some hen decoys setup in the field. I also have a dog house blind that I could use in the same location. Which would be better - treestand or doghouse? I got busted this fall trying to draw on a turkey from a tree but I didn't have very much cover.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:37 PM

Default RE: Turkeys from a treestand

I personally stay on the ground for hunting turkeys, because if I need to, I can move with ease. Good luck to whatever you do.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I very very highly recommend hunting turkeys from a ground blind. Unless if you have extremely extremely good cover in a treestand, turkey have such good eyesight that it would be easy to catch you draw back. With a ground blind, you can keep the back window closed and draw back with them 15 yards away looking in your direction.

One thing to remember is that turkeys have some of the best eyesight of any animal. They can see 300 degress without moving their head. If you take that plus 1 tom plusa couple jakes plus some hens, that is a lot of eyes to outsmart.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

I never hunted specifically for turkeys but our fall season overlaps deer so I bought the tags just because they frequent the same areas & I'v seen alot in the past. One thing I can say is they will spot you in a tree from way over yonder if your not real blended in & move around at all. I got busted 4 times in a tree & every time they were still way out. Being used to deer I tried picking up my bow & getting ready & they cought me. They were so far out it was hard to tell if they were really looking at me but by the third time it was obvious. Then it got cold out & I started sitting in my blind. Whole different ball game. They pay the blind no mind & this one didn't even have mesh. I took one at 15 yards or so & the rest just kept gobbling at it trying to get it up. After a 1/2 hour or so they gave up & moved around me & I took a second one. They still had no clue but started attacking the one I shot so I ran them off.

Do what you want, others get them from trees but in my very limited experience blinds work real good for them if your gonna sit.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: krojemann
If you take that plus 1 tom plusa couple jakes plus some hens, that is a lot of eyes to outsmart.
Yeah no kidding. That's how I got busted this fall. 4 hens and 2 toms were about 15 yards away. The were all looking in the opposite direction of me when I drew and they still scattered before I even got all the way drawn back. The funny thing is during the summer time we'll be outside swimming in the pond and the same turkeys will come up and drink and pay no attention to us. Go figure.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:18 PM

Man, you may get a turkey from a treestand, but it is not the same as having a decoy set while calling them in and arrowing one that way. I recomend the ground 100%. Just try it, if it doesn't work, go to the treestand to get some meat in the freezer, but try the ground first.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man we just covered this one. Again, calling in spring gobblers from treestands is very difficult...they usually spot you drawing before you get it back....not that it can't be done but you'll probably fail more than succeed...but it'll be fun. I recommend you blind it up.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Man we just covered this one. Again, calling in spring gobblers from treestands is very difficult...they usually spot you drawing before you get it back....not that it can't be done but you'll probably fail more than succeed...but it'll be fun. I recommend you blind it up.

I agree, but I got blasted by people on here commenting on the same fact that a post was just discussed, and the person didn't take the time to go through the first page of archives. And wham, people got their depends in a bunch because of a honest observation. Geez, I am glad I am not hunting in their woods, I might be a victim of a Dick Cheney accident.
Old 02-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've taken four from a treestand over the years while I was deer hunting, but -- I think it would be a lot easier to use a ground blind, though I have no experience with one. I know I've been amazed at their ability to spot me making the smallest of moves.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 AM

Were do you aim when shooting turkeys with a bow?