Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Good Blood Trail, then Nothing >

Good Blood Trail, then Nothing

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Good Blood Trail, then Nothing

Old 10-21-2002, 11:53 AM

Default Good Blood Trail, then Nothing

Over the weekend I "arrowed" a deer, it was a "good hit", complete passthrough, vanes covered in blood. Deer made a mad dash, through thick brush, then seemed to crash within seconds. After inspecting the arrow, I waited about 1/2 hour. Within a few feet I spotted the first sign of blood. From there, a constant blood trail (bright red) could be seen. Some were only a drop or two, other spots were the size of an orange. I followed the trail in a fairly straight line for about 50 yards, then it veered off to the left for another 15-20 yards. The blood trail was becoming thicker and I continued to follow ( a drop every 2 or 3 feet). The second last spot of blood was about the size of a orange, and the last the size of a pea. THEN NOTHING!!!

I scoured the area, (in circles) for about an hour. I was expecting to see the deer at any moment, but could not find any further traces. Finally darkness fell, and I had to give up for the evening.

Does anyone have any ideas, of what might have happened?

"Smile and the Whole World smiles with you."

Edited by - ComfyBear on 10/21/2002 13:27:16

Edited by - ComfyBear on 10/21/2002 13:29:53
Old 10-21-2002, 12:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good Blood Trail, then Nothing

comfy, you need to go back today and look for your deer. Looking for an hour after the blood trail ended is not enough. I would first circle the area that you last seen sign starting at 5 yards and keep going out. If nothing, grid search, if nothing, check all area watering places such as ponds creeks, etc. You need to spend longer looking for it.

Now, I don't believe the hit was as good as you think. If it was, it should have been dead within 1/2 hour. My rules of thumb is this. If I am hunting during the evening, I am sure that I can hunt the next morning. Second, I limit my shots to 20 yards if there is rain or if the area is expecting rain. Third, if I make a hit near the end of the day, if I don't see or hear the game go down, I leave it till morning. Part of your problem is that you went after it too fast IMO.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:45 PM

I plan to return, that's why I'm asking. I'm wondering why the blood just stopped, with no trace in a 20 yard radius, when it was bleeding profusely for a few feet before it stopped. I'm wondering if it "dug" itself under a brush pile.

As far as the shot it was only 22 yards, and I could see it hit just behind the leg. Like I said, after a mad dash, I heard it crash, and then no further sound. I expected to find it dead no further than 40 yards, since it was travelling through very dense bush and bramble. I was hunched over and almost crawling just to get through that brush.

"Smile and the Whole World smiles with you."
Old 10-21-2002, 12:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Comfy, you may want to go backwards along the trail from the last spot of blood and check for blood going to either side. I have tracked deer in the past that have come to a dead stop, turned around and backtracked and then turned off the trail. If this doesn't work try the circle/grid methods that Bob-co suggested. If he is hit as you thought you should be able to find him. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

You have received good advice. This past Saturday my cousin arrowed a deer, complete pass thru, arrow covered with blood and he was sure of a good hit. After waiting 30 minutes, we began tracking the deer. Not long after, he jumped it. We waited an hour and started tracking again. Same type of blood trail as you describe. 5 hours later, we ran out of blood to follow and thought we would not find the deer. To make a long story short, we finally found his deer around 200 yards from the last spot of blood. It had back tracked the trail. Also, what he thought was a double-lung turned out to be one lung and through the gut, do to the angle of penetration. Sounds like you may have the same type of shot. I believe your deer is out there, you just need to get some help and find it. Good Luck

Old 10-22-2002, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Comfy, were you able to recover your deer?
Old 10-27-2002, 10:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-28-2002, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've tracked some wounded deer in my days. Some mine, some others. Believe me I'm no expert, but I've seen deer do some crazy things. Once I loose blood I go to following his tracks. I always make note of his size prints, so can pick them out better. You can also make note of way he's walking if favoring certain leg, or slipping often on one. Lose of blood doesn't mean Lose of tracking. I also circle the area of last blood found. I've seen deer jump off a easy run path, and into thick stuff or up hills, reach the peak, and turn back down. They do crazy things for no apparent reason. Especially wounded deer capable of going long distances. Rarely do they run easy, and straight lines the whole time. I don't give up until I've exhausted all means I can think of. I hate nothing more then loosing a deer! Sorry I couldn't get on earlier to help you out. But never give up because you lose the blood.