Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What makes a good blood trail >

What makes a good blood trail

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What makes a good blood trail

Old 07-21-2008, 02:09 PM

Default What makes a good blood trail

I have been thinking alot about this lately, as I am changing my arrow/broadhead setup for this year. OBVIOUSLY, the biggest factor is shot location, but after that, what gives? What broadhead characteristics lend themselves to massive blood trails?

I am really interested to hear some others views on this subject. Blade sharpness? cutting diameter? cutting area? What effect does blade angle have, just whatever you want to throw out here.

Everyone is talking about the rage that cuts a 2" gash, but a Slick Trick Magnum has 1 1/8" x 1 1/8" which equals 2 1/4" of cutting surface. The ST has more cutting surface, but the rage has a wider "reach". Does it really matter?
Old 07-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What makes a good blood trail

Not if they within sight.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

To answer your last question...in my opinion...it doesn't matter. IF you take out the lungs. The deer probably isn't leaving earshot anyway.

I shot Bear Razorheads for approzimately 25 years. They were great. If I hit the right spot, there was a blood trail that anyone could follow. Last year, the first with a new, fast bow, I switched to mechanicals. I shot 3 deer with it, and they all were great and SHORT blood trails.

My days with mechanicals are over now. I like the blades of the Muzzy's and also the toughness of them. I'll be shooting them this year.

I also think that luck plays a little factor in a perfect blood trail. By that...you cannot have some chunk of innard block the low hole on the animal...as that will impede bleeding.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pro-Line is dead on in my opinion, I don't have but 12 years of tracking animals....I have seen good trails and bad trails with every style head out there....I got turned on to mine by my buddies in 96', they have always performed on MY set up...I kinda live by the ol' saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it".....After shot placement, I personally like the bigger cutting heads 2 1/2" Vortexand I have my set up rigged up for this....Big heads are not for every set up....
Old 07-21-2008, 02:59 PM

It's not the size, but what you do with it.

I have used Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and know that if I am off or the deer flinches and I hit bone the Muzzy will go throught it. I am know I get good flight and good penetration. I what a good exit wound to get the trail to follow. I hunt in think area's and we don't always get to see the deer go down and with a stream near by and running water, I don't always hear it either.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

good blood trail= lots of blood! seriously though a well placed shot with a good broadhead should minimize your tracking!
Old 07-21-2008, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

1" sharp blade will do better than a larger dull blade. Make sure the blades are sharp, no matter what broadhead you use. Even after you shoot your broadheads into your foam target a couple of times, you should touch them up with a stone to make sure they are razor sharp.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:06 PM

But shot placement aside,since there are so many variables in it even on "good" shots...

A broadhead kills through several different mechanisms, all driven by hemorrage. More cutting area= faster bleeding = bigger blood trails, and shorter ones, hopefully. More cutting area can also have a negative impact on penetration depth, dependant on the broadheads design (COC vs Mech). But even on a big buck you only need about 14" of penetration for the broadhead to pass through the chest cavity on a broadside shot and leave an exit wound. Angles can be longer, sometimes much longer.

In my mind the most critical item for a blood trail is an exit wound, and for that you must get enough penetration, with a still functional head, to achievea pass-throughconsistently. But after that...
Old 07-21-2008, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Howler

1" sharp blade will do better than a larger dull blade. Make sure the blades are sharp, no matter what broadhead you use. Even after you shoot your broadheads into your foam target a couple of times, you should touch them up with a stone to make sure they are razor sharp.

Amen Howler, but I'll go one step more, if you shoot a broadhead ONCE, it's done unless you touch it up or change the blades. One shot and done no matter what, touch them up or change the blade, there is no excuses.

Obviously the number one factor is shot placement, every broadhead on the market will do the job when shot in the proper place. As to the orginal post, the Rage actually leaves a bigger than 2" entrance hole due to the way it opens at impact. I've seen holes as long as 3 inches cutting diameter with my 1.5" Snypers.

Old 07-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer
Amen Howler, but I'll go one step more, if you shoot a broadhead ONCE, it's done unless you touch it up or change the blades. One shot and done no matter what, touch them up or change the blade, there is no excuses.
That's really a pet peeve of mine!! If the Broadhead has been shot, Sharpen it, or Replace the Blades!! Period!!

Don't be a Lazy tightwad

Shot placement, sharp blades, big holes, all play a part in a great Blood trail. I prefer multi blade heads for more cutting and a hole versus a slit of a 2 blade. Probably makes little difference on Deer but some animals are more prone to plug cuts and a big hole is harder to plug than a slit.

Dan

Quick Reply: What makes a good blood trail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.