Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
see any rutting going on in ny??? >

see any rutting going on in ny???

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

see any rutting going on in ny???

Old 10-28-2002, 05:45 AM

Default see any rutting going on in ny???

just wanted to know if the does were horny yet anywhere in ny. i saw 3 bucks and tryied everything to get them in range but no luck.Has anyone started using doe estrus yet.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: see any rutting going on in ny???

I haven't seen any yet. I hunt both Northern & Southern Tier's. I just got back lastnight from 4 days of bow down south. Still seeing scraping activity there. I did get a 4pt to turn, and come closer by using a bleat can. I usually don't see chasing, and rut until the wk before regular season opens. Last yr it was 11/11 I watched 6 bucks chasing doe around.
Old 10-28-2002, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt mainly in the 9k and 9m, areas, and have not seen any rutting activity yet. So far, I have only seen four point bucks and under and does. I think that best is yet to come.

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 10/28/2002 07:43:32
Old 10-28-2002, 06:49 AM

I have seen some really good signs of rutting in the southern zone. I watched a six point following a 2-3yr old doe for 20 minutes yesterday just out of range and obvious scrape lines are popping up all over the place. In my years of experience once the heavy scrape activity starts the rut is in almost full swing. Y'all have to understand the rut isn't one day or one week it is more like 3wk-1mth. Anyway, Good luck to all you of NY archers and God Bless You.

Hunting is like life. You plan and practice thinking everything is just right and suddenly the wind shifts directions and it's all over.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

JUst returned home from the Dacks where one of my local buds has been watching the weigh ins of the bucks at the local store. Word is big swollen necks, chasin does and gruntin like pigs on the heels. Our dates are the 2nd thru the 10th, hope they play around a few weeks more.

10 Pointers
Old 10-28-2002, 07:08 AM

I have been out in 5K and not seen any type of rut at all. The does have been all by themselves. I seen 4 last night and still no bucks are with them. It should be getting to that point now where you should see bucks chasing but I have not seen it yet. That six pointer probably got lucky and found a doe that was cycling early.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:24 AM

thanks for the info i hunt in marilla for bow and east otto for shot gun so i think i'll try using some scent an see what happens.