Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats the best call? >

whats the best call?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

whats the best call?

Old 02-13-2006, 06:20 PM

Default whats the best call?

spring turkey hunts coming up soon and im planning on hunting with my bow, but i need a good call, i was wondering if theres a call you can blow into or use with your mouth, cause the one i used last year needed to be chalked up alot and messed up alot. Whats the best thing you bow hunters use?
Old 02-13-2006, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: whats the best call?

I've used a slate call and mouth diaphrams the last few years. After last season I bought a crystal and really like the sound. You do have to keep it sanded though but when its sanded it really sounds good. The slate sounds fine but if it gets wet its not worth a hoot. I've heard aluminum was good but I can't find any around here. The diaphrams are great for no hands but some people say they either can't make them sound or get gagged with them. I like to use both the scratch calls and the diaphrams. I like the Primos brand of diaphrams. I tried some QuakerBoys and some others but they seemed kind of stiff to me. I take the diaphrams and trim them with scissors to fit my mouth better. You may have to play with them and might ruin a few like I did trying to cut them to the right size. Just start by trimming a little at a time. I cut a few too small. They don't work very good too small. I've never used a box call but some of my friends do and they sound real good but gotta chalk and the slates and diaphrams seem easier to me.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I like the crystal made by primos.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

If your hunting alone I'd definately recommend a pot call in combination with a mouth call...soon or later your going to have to hold the bow and put down the call so that's when the mouth call comes into play.....

Check out www.rivervalleygamecalls.com for both...there are many, many great calls on the market and I wouldn't rank any as the "best".
Old 02-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Thank you guys, im looking into a call now