Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ambush Sling

Old 02-04-2006, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ambush Sling

Does anyone use this stand device or something similar?

Is it effective?

Is it comfortable?

How much does it cost?

What are the drawbacks (if any)?

Old 02-05-2006, 10:29 AM

Default RE: Ambush Sling

I HAVE A BUDDY THAT HUNTS WITH A GUN CLUB AND THEY USE THEM FOR DEER DEER DRIVES HERE IN N.J. THEY WORK GREAT WITH SHOTGUN- BUCKSHOT COMBOS. HE HAS BEEN USING IT BOWHUNTING FOR LAST FEW YEARS AS AN EXTRA TOOL WHEN A PORTABLE STAND JUST WONT WORK. HOPE THIS HELPS A LITTLE!!
Old 02-05-2006, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks! I thought their use would be more prevalent and I wonder if there is something about them that is considered a drawback.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hell Yes! I use it and love it. Of course it's not for everyone but it is perfect for the kind of hunting I do. It is comfortable, lightweight, and easy to use. The best part is you can shoot in 360 degrees around the tree. You cant do that with a traditional treestand. I got an 8 point this year that was on my right and behind me. I just slowly crept around the tree and let him have it. I could not have shot that buck with a normal stand.

There are drawbacks of course - like how to get up in the tree. But you have that same problem with a hang on stand as well. Just get some Lone Wolf sticks or some strap on steps and you're all set. Just practice shooting from the sling because some people find it wierd at first.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Spike

I bought one this year and also found it extremely useful. Again you have to be in shape. Let me say that again, you have to be in shape. I deer hunt about 60 days out of the year and found myself using this tool 95% of the time. I have 30 different locations cut out so either I carry in a lightweight gorilla stand or the sling. The sling weighs less and is less cumbersome.

I agree with gzg38b you need to set up your trees completely opposite from a normal hang on stand. Additionally I use 6 pegs spaced around the tree to stand on. Normally I now carry in 18 steps (12 to get up and 6 to stand on.) When I first started using the system I got leg cramps but I worked through it.

The draw backs:
*leg cramps
*remember not to "swing." It's so easy to move you're whole body to look but you have to remember to stay still. I got busted a few times because I was fidgeting in the sling.
*Sore Feet. Standing on pegs in not comfortable. That is why I use 6 spaced around the tree. If anyone has additional suggestions please offer your suggestions

To make sure I got the exact height I used a T bar below the main strap. This gave me a perfect height for cutting lanes.

Benefits
*360 degree shooting.
*This system allows to MAKE shooting lanes when it's crunch time. (The RUT!) I can shoot behind, leaning and more.
*No one knows where you're hunting! No-one steals your best spot because no-one knows.

Earlier in the year I was running late to my stand. After I got up in the sling but my bow was on the ground a buck came in. I still had on my back pack, fanny pack with noise tree steps, bow on the ground, and my camo jacket was hanging in the tree. I was able to pull up the bow, swing to the opposite side of the tree and ready myself for the shot. That buck got lucky and never came with in range. But it just shows you how vestal the sling is.

This year I took 1 buck and 2 does with my bow. This was the best spent $169 bucks. I was very skeptical when I bought the product and only set up my new stands with this system. By the end of the season I switched over most of my stands to the sling.

FYI - I have another guy in my hunting party that also bought and loves to hunt from the sling. Once you go sling you'll never go back

Old 02-06-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the good info gzg38band bnbplay. I am not in the kind of shape I was 15 years ago but I still meet military height/weight so I think I'll be OK. I am going to buy one and try it in the fall. I'll set up a few stands for it over the winter.
Old 02-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

BNB - I thought I was the only one in the world who liked the sling besides John Eberhart (author of Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails). Most people think I'm nuts . I normally carry 8 or 9 strap on steps in my backpack. I've also modified one of the strap on steps to hold 5 foot pegs instead of one. That is my "platform" to stand on at the top. It allows me to move all the way around the tree. Just be careful not to put any of the foot pegs too close to the buckle of the strap. I've found the strap on steps to be faster and easier than screw in steps. It is awesome to be able to creep around the tree to shoot in any direction in TOTAL silence.