Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck Fever?

Old 02-14-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Buck Fever?

Hi Fellow Hunters.

I am new to the forum and just stopping in to see how things work.

I am only in my 2nd year of bow hunting, This past season I had a 8 point buck come about 10 yrds in from of my tree stand. My best freind who has been hunting most of his life told me stories about what would happen if I seen a buck in front of me. He said you wont be able to breatch, Knees get real shaky, and you'll talk to yourself. Well sure enough, I seen that buck coming towards me at about 60 yrds away, Being my 2nd yr. I got excited and drew my bow back, I would say a little early. As I held it back for about 40 yrds, it started happening, couldnt breath, got real shaky, and yep, I was talking to myself.

Sure enough that buck stood there at about 20 yrds. And I'll be danged if I didnt shoot about 3 inches over its back. Heck I could have jumped out of the stand and got it alot faster and better.

Has this " Buck Fever" ever got to anyone else?

Old 02-14-2006, 07:56 AM

Default RE: Buck Fever?

Yep. It's probably happened to just about everyone at one time or another.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Fork Horn

Heh Heh, yes that is why we bowhunt. The first buck I drew on caused me to shake so bad the arrow fell off the rest on onto the ground. The deer looked at me and I swear started laughing.
Old 02-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Yep, I think I got a giggle from him also, as all I seen was tail going back into the woods. Like I said the first time I went out, me and my buddy were sitting at camp waiting to go get in our stands and he told me the stories but I didnt actually believe it until it happened. I would always say how hard is it, you see a deer you just shoot it. I have pretty good aim, always bunched my arrows in the target, but boy its a different story when the things grunting at ya...lol..

Now every time before we go out they all ask me if I have my net with me so I can just jump on it and get it.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Absoluley and I love it.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had it a few times. The day my heart stops pounding at the sight of a whitetail buck is the day I stop deer hunting. I hope that never happens. I can control myself these days but it's still a heart pounding experience. I am 42 years young and have killed many, many deer, but I still get excited at the sight of a deer. It's a great rush.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:04 AM

I had just as much "DOE FEVER" on my first doe. My first buck showed up from behind me so fast that I shot and then had the "FEVER". Go Down! Go Down!! YES YES YES
Old 02-14-2006, 11:10 AM

I havent had the chance to pull back on a doe yet, but I am sure I will get the same way. Heck I might get that way aiming at a squirell...lol.. Not to get off the buck subject but I did go turkey hunting for the first time this past season and I did get all jittery when I heard the gobbler getting closer. Never seen it though.

I just moved to TN from the city in MICH so I am new to all this hunting stuff, But I was addicted when I seen my first Buck.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't get the fever until after I have shot. Then its on. Knees knocking, shaking, never had an anxioty attack but I bet it isclose to this.Have to sit and get myself together so I don't fall out of the tree.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's what it's all about! That feeling is one of the reasons I hunt. The challenge is to keep your emotions and excitement in check enough to focus on doing everything right. I've found that mentally visualizing all the steps leading up to the shot before I hunt helps me alot. I've been over that scenario in my mind hundreds of times so when the moment of truth arrives instinct takes over.I rehearse everything from the draw to what to do after the shot. Doing these "mental dress rehearsals" hundreds of times really helped me control my buck fever. Every day during the hunting season I visualize an approaching buck, imagine the perfect time to draw, visualize putting the pin right behind the shoulder. I can see it all in my mind like I'm watching a movie. I even mentally visualize the moment the arrow hits the deer and watch it run off. It worked for me on two smaller bucks this year but I still don't know how I'd be if a monster came by!

Quick Reply: Buck Fever?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.