Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got a Cuddeback 3.0 >

Got a Cuddeback 3.0

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got a Cuddeback 3.0

Old 01-19-2006, 06:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Got a Cuddeback 3.0

Trembow, thanks for the info! Do you meanall I need is video inputs? I have a TV/VCR that does have audio and video inputs to it, though it isn't right in front of me now to see exactly what it has. Also, the viewerdidn't show any cables to hook the unit up tothe TV. Do you suppose it comes with them, or would I have to figure out what kind of cable is needed and go get one?

TO ALL, I called Cuddeback, and they tell me they are coming out with three new cameras this year, around June 1. One is a smaller unit, 3 mp, with a bigger flash, same price as the 3.0 now. The impression I get is that with technology, it doesn't have to be as big.

Another is infrared with no flash at night, about $50 more, and anotheris 2 mp, easy mode without all the bells and whistles, costs about $100 less.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:39 AM

I've had a 1.3 Cuddeback for almost a year now, can't wait to get the 3.0 - Only way to go. I get awesome pics, incredible battery life, and can see my pics right away.

Try Ebay - you can get new units for around $300.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

bump

Old 01-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: deer-hunter18

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

I too have one of the 3MP Cuddebacks and while it's a very nice camera, I'm not sure it's worth the $400 price tag. It has a few quirks that bugs me.

1) It has no on/off switch whatsoever. Every single time I go up to check it, I get popped in the face by the flash. Very disappointing IMO. It should at least have some type of exernalon/off/standby switch.
2) IME the flash is weak. I don't know if they improved that since I bought mine. The flash on my Moultrie 200 is better.
3) I have yet to figure out how to hook my laptop up to it and view/download the pictures.

IMO the new Moultrie 3.1MP is a better buy. For 1/2 the cost of the Cuddeback it wil take pics that are just as good, and has a better flash. The only advantages I have seen that the Cudde has over the Moultrie is the fast trigger time and maybe the security features. Having the temp & moon phase stamped on the pics from the Moultrie is definitely a plus IMO. The weakest points of the Moultrie are the slower trigger time and the mounting system.
You dont really need a power switch, if you think about it you get 1500 pictures on one set of batteries and yes that is very true.

Go from behind the cam if you dont want to get hit by the flash. Do you expect it to only take pictures of game? if you walk in front of it at night time your going to get flash, no programing it to not take pics of people.

Flash has 2 settings standard and High, i have not even used high yet standard has PLENTY of light.

You have to have a Compact flash card reader to download the pictures, here is a link for one, this is a USB port adaptor, so if you laptop has a USB hub you can use it. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=541573&CatId=956 For only $15 you cant beat that.

Never once have i heard anything good about a moultrie! but if you like it use it. I will spend $400 on a Cudde anyday anytime. I have one already and will probably have about 2 or 3 more by next season. IMHO best trail cam on the market.
The Cudde has a USB port buit in to it. Every time I plug my laptop into it windows won't recognize it. It even says in the instruction that pictures can be viewed on a computer from the camera. I just think for $400 there are better options out there. The Cudde is a great camera but I don't think it's worth $400.