Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buying first bow. >

Buying first bow.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying first bow.

Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Buying first bow.

Hey, Im new on this forum and i am looking to buy my first bow. I am looking at alot of differnt bows I was wondering what you guys shoot and why you like them. I dont want to start an argument but just wondering. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2005, 07:24 PM

Default RE: Buying first bow.

There are several different threads on here that people ask the same type of question and I'm sure they folks on here don't mind giving their opinion. I've only shot a couple of bows. I just bought a Hoyt UltraMag this year and I like it a lot. It was easy to get set up and sighted in and didn't break the pocket book. I used to have (well still have sitting at the house) a PSE Polaris. It was an older bow, but it was great starter bow and taught me a lot. My brother shoots a Martin, but I'm not sure what the model is and I thought it was a good bow too. If you want suggestions or opinions on what to buy, I'd recommend a Hoyt, but you really should head out to a bow shop and shoot several bows and get the one that feels best to you. Don't rush it, pick the one that is going to work for you and the pro shop staff are usually very helpful. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you buy a Mathews or a Hoyt, you cannot go wrong.

Which one should you buy?

If you buy the Mathews:

[ul][*]Deer will fear you, women will want you[*]You'll be invited to all the right parties[*]You will live a long and prosperous life[*]When you enter a room, someone will always shout, "All rise!"[*]People will call you "MISTER ilovehunting," or "sir"[*]Your children will be born intelligent and beautiful[*]You will die happy[*]All your hunts will be successful, all your days filled with joy [/ul]
Any questions?
Old 12-23-2005, 09:03 PM

You really need to just go shoot a bunch of them and decide which feels best and what you can afford with your budget. If you tell us what you want it for we may be able to give you some general guide lines to follow. Like size and what not.

Most of the bows on the market right now are great, even the cheaper ones. Maybe let us know what a particular bow you are interested in people that have experience with them can give you thier opinions.

What's your budget?

Paul
Old 12-24-2005, 06:20 AM

Im 15 so I really dont have bills to pay yet so Im looking at spending at the most with all accesories about $1000 including a target.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:47 PM

Wow, that is quite a budget to spend on a bow. You can buy almost any bow out there. I would suggest you start with a cheaper beginner bow. That way if you do not like the sport you would not have "wasted" as much money. Some bows to look at are PSE, Diamond, Bowtech, Mathews, and Hoyt.

I spent about $450 on my first bow, which included the bow, a sight, a rest, a target, arrows, and a release. I have since moved on to a Bowtech Allegiance, which ran me about $1200 with everything. I have only shot it about 100 times since the hurricane, and doubt I will be doing much more shooting with it any time soon. The woods are too trashed to hunt in.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:56 PM

I say that is a pretty decent budget for everything. You can probably get off a bit cheaper though depend on how much you spend on a bare bow. Or you could look at packages. I will give you credit, at 15 you are looking at the big picture. Many think they will just go out and drop 350 or so on a bow and that is it. Well, you need decent sights, a rest, good arrows, a sling, a release, stablilizer, limb savers if the bow doesn't have them and a target. Among other things I am forgetting. It all adds up fast if you want good stuff. You don't NEED all of that, but you will eventually end up with it I bet.

My bowtech cost 569 bare, by the time I left the store with a few extras (I already had a rest and sights) plus tax I spent almost 700 bucks. I have over a grand into it if you count the sights, rest, stab and release. This is not a cheap hobby at all! You can get rifles cheaper.

I suggest looking at the lower end Hoyts, I don't know what the new models are I haven't looked lately. But you can probably get them for around 400 bucks and they are very good bows. Or the reflex line, which is made by hoyt. You could also look at darton, bowtech, diamond and PSE. All make some nice entry level bows at good prices. Oh, I forgot martin and some others I am sure.

Well I just looked at hoyts web site and they don't make the ultrasport or ultramag anymore, so I would just skip them and go for a reflex. Too bad, they were awsome bows for the money. If you could find one still hanging around snag it up.

What ever you do though make sure you get it from a good pro shop that can help you and make sure it fits you correctly. Even if it costs an extra 100 dollars. The service is well worth it in the long run, especially if you are a new archer.

Paul
Old 12-24-2005, 09:30 PM

haha I'm 15 too and I shoot a Bowtech TomKat. It's cool because you can adjust the draw length as you grow. I would probably recommend getting a bow that really gives you that option. They're all good, just shoot them and see what you like.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:30 PM
Fork Horn

Take your time and shoot a lot of different bows to ensure that the bow feels right to you. I have had the luxury of having a friend that owned a bow shop so I had the chance to shoot a lot of different bows before makinga final purchase.

You are young and your body will change over the next few years so it may be worth cutting down your budget and getting a bow that can grow with you. If you are new to archery hunting I would take some of the money you have budgeted and buya quality tree stand orgood scent lock clothing as you are going to be learning a lot as you get into the field.

I don't feel comfortable recommending a bow to you as each bow is unique to each hunter. I would recommend going with a reputable company, i.e. Hoyt, Mathews, BowTech, PSE/AR, Parker. They all have +/-'s. I have shot all of them andhave owned 3 out of the 5 listed above and currently own 2.

Mostimportantly, get out there and enjoyhunting and the time you get to spend with your friends and family in the outdoors!!!

Old 12-25-2005, 05:03 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate the info.