Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Original Allen Compound bow???? >

Original Allen Compound bow????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Original Allen Compound bow????

Old 12-20-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Original Allen Compound bow????

Guys, I need some help, if you know anything about Original ALLEN compounds. Here is the deal. My father whom passed away when I was young (17) left behind to me his bow. I have always just kept it stored or hung on a wall in my home. The other day my bowhunting friend/mentor sent me pictures of a buck he harvested and in the picture henoted that he had used an original Allen compound. In the picture I was shocked to see the exact same bow as I had hanging on my wall. I had no idea that my fathers bow was the same bow until now! I then pulled my fathers bow down and by using a very bright light found scratched in the camo paint job.....the words " ALLEN PaY " then some numbers, of which to me I assume are a serial number. Also scratched in the old camo paint is 28 1/2 which is obviouslly the draw length... If anyone knows much about these bows please let me know. I would like to find out a lot more about this bow that was my dads that has been with me for 19 years.... I am sure it is much older as I got it when I was 17...the year my dad passed... Thanks again in advance..

Troy
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Original Allen Compound bow????

Troy, I would start here. There's a decent amount of info on those bows.

http://www.archeryhistory.com/compounds/compounds.htm
Old 12-20-2005, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Justin, THANKS!

Thanks! that first picture of the 1975 bow is what mine looks like. I then noticed on the picture adjacent to it The"Allen compound add"(the black and white) there is a number 7507. My bow has a four digit number on it starting with 7. I am very excited to get home and find out what number it actually is. Like I said I know very little about these bows as it shows. Thanks, this could really turn out to be a cool piece of archery history! Not to mention it was dads. I already see me restoring this bow back to tip top shape and hunting with it! OBTW..the draw length fits me perfectly asI was drawing it last night..

Troy
Old 12-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good luck, Troy! That sounds like one special bow...
Old 12-20-2005, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Troy, I am curious. Is your dad's Allen bow the Brown Hunter? My fatherinlaw had one and it was a beautiful bow. There is still a special place in my heart for the 4 wheelers........I owned a few, maybe its nostalgia....I don't know, but I always thought the first compounds were better looking than these new fangled things.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:06 AM

Thanks for that link.
I have one of the Herter's 6 wheel bows that belonged to my Grandfather.
He passed away in 1988
He was the one responsible for making me a hunter.
I owe him much!
http://www.archeryhistory.com/compounds/pics/70/hertersjpg.jpg
Old 12-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couger, My fathers bow looks like this one I posted. The tricky part for me will be learning to shoot it left handed.., dad was a lefty shooter.

Buell, that is an awesome looking bow! beautiful. Are you using your gramps for hunting??? best of luck and sorry about your gramps.sounds like he taught you a lot!!!!

Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is awesome you have a sentimental keepsake from your father as wellas piece of archery history.

I know what it is like to lose your father at an early age I was 15 when my father passed. How sweet would it be to harvest an animal with your fathers bow...... I really hope to see a harvest photo and story showcasingthat bow and one happy hunter from the pan handle. Best of luck my friend!
[/align]
Old 12-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scott,

Thank youbud, sorry to hear about your father, 15 is very young. I was fortunate to have one heck of a father for 17years, sure I miss him wholeheartedly, butafterteaching for 10+years, I have realized from working with students that I had it great while I had dad, experiences of which many of my students have never witnessed with a father. I was very blessed. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him and carry on the lessons he taught me. Also those with loving fathers, never take them for granted.

It's funny how I have always overlooked that bow of dads, it has simply collected dust. Not anymore. I am very intrigued to say the least. First I plan on restoring this bow to mint condtion. Then I will start shooting it. I have NO experience doing this restoration, but I have some good friends here on HNI and good friends here at home that are skilled in this type of endevour. My first chore will be to dismantle the bow and check each part, making sure after all these years that they still contain thier integrity and can safely do the job. I do own heavy equipment and do a lot of my own rebuilding and repairing.Iwould think this bow shouldn't be any more difficult than repairing logging equipment!!! LOL...Thanks again for the bid of good fortune!

It would be very meaningful to usethis bow to teach my boys about their gramps and of course would be very special to harvest a critter with it! I look at this opportunity as yet another learning experience. Like I told Cougar Mag, I will be learning to shoot left handed as well! I dont want to change the bow...