Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos >

Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Site Bouncer

Default Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

I need some help here. This may be long so please bear with me.

I have posted this on my team thread but it's kinda slow there so I will ask it here.

I love to hunt Whitetail and have taken my share of P&Y bucks but that being said I will shoot whatever I feel like shooting at that time, doe, small buck, spike, etc...

This year I have passed on more smaller bucks than I ever have. In Illinois you can kill two bucks, I did not fill my tag during the gun season so I have two to fill. I have been holding out for some of thebigger bucks I have been seeingbecause of the contest. Well a few weeks ago I spotted a small 8point (about 70in) with one of his antlers growning funny. The left side beam is completely rotated foward to where the tip of the antler is touching his nose. He has been making his rounds and I have seen him on several occasions. One time he spent some time below me and I got a real good look at him. It doesn't seem to have been damaged, I think it's genetics.

My problem is this, I think this antler will give this deer much trouble next year if it grows the same way. It's so close now, there is no doubt it will go into his nose next year. I would like to shoot him but I would be hurting my team. I stand a pretty good chance of killing a 100+ in buck or maybe even bigger as I have seen a few on the land I hunt.

I am pretty sure I will see him again but time is running out the second rut is in swing and I don't think he will keep this pattern for too much longer.

What would you guys/gals do?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Help/Opinions

Thats up to you, 70 inches is better than the 0 you have now.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:55 PM

I like to manage all the lands I hunt. I try to take all the defected bucks off before the cause the same trouble for another deer. If I was you I would take that buck. You still have another tag to use on that brute when he walks by.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

I would take him. You may save him some hurting next year if that thing
grows into his nose. Perhaps this should come before a competion. Your
call. Good luck either way.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

the health of this deer is more important than some point system for your team. i think your teammates would understand. this deer will suffer come next year probably. you seem convinced of this also. do the HARD RIGHT VS. THE EASY WRONG. take this buck, take a hit for the team and sleep better at night. if you don't you'll always kick yourself in the ass years down the road.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

My opinion would be to pass on the buck you mention,at 70 inches in your part of the country he is 1 1/2 years old or at the very oldest 2 1/2 years old.This next year he should have significant antler growth,perhaps enough to get his beam or tines further out away from his face.There also is the possibility of him not repeating the antler configuration he has now.
I appreciate your concern for your teams score but I don't believe that should be your consideration as to which buck you kill.If you want to shoot this buck and you will be pleased with it then take it if you have the opportunity,if not don't.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
Site Bouncer

Thanks to all who have replied, I am leaning toward killing this buck if he gives me the chance. Odds are I will see him again as he is pretty set in his pattern. You know this would not even be a question had it not beenfor this contest.

You must understand, I could care less if I shoot nothing but does or small bucks or P&Y bucks. Would I like P&Y bucks every year...yeah who wouldn't, but it's not that important to me. 20years ago maybe but now no. No MY problem is this darn contest. I hate to let my teammates down and I don't like to lose. This attitude while not always constructive got me to the NFL and drives me in my everyday life, work, play, etc...

Every once an a while I need to step back and look at a situation for what it is and this is one of those times. I realize this is just a contest for fun and I should do the right thing and take this deer. Yes there is a chance of this antler growing fine next year but I doubt it.

Thanks again to all who gave an opinion. I hope to post good news soon.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Wack him. Your reasoning is why I don't get into all that team thing.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

A rack can change alot from one year to the next , especially if it's due to an injury. Even if it has the same characteristics it could be alot higher and/or wider which may lead to missing his nose entirely.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let him grow !!!!

Quick Reply: Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.