Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos >

Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Old 12-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Need Help/Opinions

I wouldn't shoot him. Next year that buck will most likely look NOTHING like he does now. Like another said it'll probably be bigger that it won't be an issue. I don't feel that you would be doing him any favors by killing him.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot what makes you happy. If you are pleased with him, take him. If not, let him walk and hope he makes it till next season.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Site Bouncer

Let me try to explain just what he looks like. I have seen him 4 times now and once for an extended peroid (about three min.) he was right out in front of me about 10yds away. The antler does not appear to be damaged at all. It's as if someone took the entire beam and rotated it forward. The tip of his left beam is touching his nose (or at least it seems to be) I know it's touching the fur that's how close it is. Now If I let him walk what happens next year? Will it grow normal orwill it grow into his nose?Assuming the antler grows bigger as it should and it clears his face what happens then, what if it grows right infront of his face? I wouldthink he would have one heck of a time eating with an antler infront of his mouth. I just don't know if it's worth taking the chance and have this deer suffer next year.

This may all be for nothing because there is no guaranty I will see him again but he has been in a pattern lately so you never know. I am really leaning towardsputting an arrow in him if given the chance.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Every hunter has to make the decision to shoot or not shoot. I think you have to make the decision that feels right to you regardless of a contest. If you pass on this deer and it is going to bother you worrying if he is going to be ok then shoot. If you think he might be ok and you really don't like the size of the deer then don't shoot. You have to go with your gut feeling not my opinion norsomeone else's, only yours. Good luck
Old 12-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

It;s funny that you think you are doing the deer a favor by killing him now. Would you rather face possible health issues next year or just die now??? I think he'd choose taking the chance.

Now before I get jumped here, kill what makes you happy but don't justify it, from the deers point of view.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

kill what makes you happy but don't justify it, from the deers point of view.
That pretty much nails it!
There`s bucks out there every where with screwed up racks? If he`s notthe buck your really holding out for don`t shoot! Don`t let a contest make the decision for you.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

THE TEAM???? THE TEAM???? Surely you jest. Why in the heck would anyone in his right mind(maybe that's the key point....right mind) base anything to do with hunting on "THE TEAM" or "Hurting the Team"???? Give me a break. If you want to shoot a deer you don't have to ask permission of anyone. No way should you even think about anyone you've never met from this site when you head to the woods. Hunting is NOT a team sport. It's personnal. You want a team sport.... take up street ball or something. I suggest you drop the team and become a hunter again or take up maybe Tennis doubles. That's a team sport. Heck, you could also join a dance team or one of those jump rope teams. Give me a break.[&:][&:]
Old 12-13-2005, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I get a kick out of justifying taking a deer cause of perceived health issues. Deer are tough, nature has a way of making it work. If you want to take the deer, take it, if you don't then don't. Whatever you do, do it for your reasons, not because you think you are doing the deer a favor! Nature can be cruel, if you take a deer with health issues you are interfering with nature, look at it that way. Coyotes and other scavengers have to eat to.

You have no idea why that rack is like that, could have bumped something early in the spring, might be anything, could grow like that next year, might not. You never know.

--Bob

Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Badatta2d

It;s funny that you think you are doing the deer a favor by killing him now. Would you rather face possible health issues next year or just die now??? I think he'd choose taking the chance.

Now before I get jumped here, kill what makes you happy but don't justify it, from the deers point of view.
So your view is either kill him ordon't, and the messed up rack should not come into play at all in my decision making process?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

In a word, bigj12 ..yes

Quick Reply: Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.