Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos >

Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Old 12-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need Help/Opinions

If you got two tagges, he sounds like meat in the freezer. Its all up to you. Only you will shoot him and eat him.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm ALWAYS amazed at how resilient a deer can be.

That being said.....even "IF" your buck's antler DID grow in towards his nose....could he not break it off (if it meant saving himself a ton of pain)? Could he not chew it or scrape it down....if it meant not eating?

I can't answer those questions.....and I don't suspect anyone else could, either.

If you want to kill this deer (harvest/take/whatever).....then do so and I don't think anyone here would blink (Other than to congratulate you). Just don't do it for the deer's sake. That seems disingenuous.

Jeff
Old 12-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like how badatt2d summed it up.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:37 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: davidmil

THE TEAM???? THE TEAM???? Surely you jest. Why in the heck would anyone in his right mind(maybe that's the key point....right mind) base anything to do with hunting on "THE TEAM" or "Hurting the Team"???? Give me a break. If you want to shoot a deer you don't have to ask permission of anyone. No way should you even think about anyone you've never met from this site when you head to the woods. Hunting is NOT a team sport. It's personnal. You want a team sport.... take up street ball or something. I suggest you drop the team and become a hunter again or take up maybe Tennis doubles. That's a team sport. Heck, you could also join a dance team or one of those jump rope teams. Give me a break.[&:][&:]
I appreciate your opinions one and all.

The reason why I brought up the team/contest is because I ENTERED IT. and by doing so my taking of any deer that might effect my team should be thought out before I do it. I have killed many many deer in my life and I thought this (the contest)would be something fun and different....and it is.

Soyeah in thiscase this is a team effort. I don't buy into QMDunless it's fora healthy herd. If the herd is healthy with 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 year old bucks then thats fine with me. I don't agree with QDM to grow monster P&Y bucks. So I will shoot anything I feel like shooting at the time. This year I have been passing on bucks I wouldusually shoot because I was (and still am) trying to get a good score for my team. I don't see a problem with that.

I don't know if this buck will be effected next year or not, but I know he COULD be and more so than all the other deer I have been seeing. So I'm not justifying it from the deers point of view, but mine! I know it's nature'sway etc..etc..bla...bla..bla, andI know deer die every year from starvation and such, but why wouldn't I do something about one specific deer if given the chance. I'm going to kill deer anyway (and have already) I'm just saying it's tough to keep letting this guy walk by and not do something BECAUSE of the contest.

Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 PM

take the deer, your team should understand plus you would still have another tag left to take one of those 100+ bucks.
Old 12-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Site Bouncer

Default RE: Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Pics

Well, I saw him again and decided to shoot. I know not everyone will agree but I feel I did the right thing. Plus it's definitely a different looking rack. Shot a doe as well for my second double of the year. Ihave one buck tag left and I noticed that there are still some bucks chasing does so I may still be able to arrow one of the bigger bucks I have seen.

Here are some pics

Old 12-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Site Bouncer

Another

As you can see, the antler was sticking into his nose.

Old 12-27-2005, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

man thats crazy, cool pics and good job
Old 12-27-2005, 05:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad you took him. I don't think it would be a problem next year, my thought is it would grow normal(unless I missed it if you said this growth is year to year)orwill growfarther out from his nose. BTW, do yourself a favor nest year and don't jointhem teams if it stresses you this much.
Congrats on the double.
Old 12-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Site Bouncer

Thanks,

Yeah, I thought the contest would be fun, and it is, but it kinda put me in asituation where I didn't want to let them down.After getting a real good look at him I am glad Ishot him.The antlerdoesn't look to be damaged in any way it just grew out like that. I don't know if it would have cleared the nose next year or not. He wasn't really growing a big rack to begin with, hewas 2 1/2. It might have but then again maybe not.

It was already sticking into his skin and a callus of some sort had formed. It's different that's for sure and the first time I ever saw a complete antler rotated down like that.

Quick Reply: Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.