HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
BigJ71
Site Bouncer

Default Need Help/Opinions UPDATE W/Photos

I need some help here. This may be long so please bear with me.

I have posted this on my team thread but it's kinda slow there so I will ask it here.

I love to hunt Whitetail and have taken my share of P&Y bucks but that being said I will shoot whatever I feel like shooting at that time, doe, small buck, spike, etc...

This year I have passed on more smaller bucks than I ever have. In Illinois you can kill two bucks, I did not fill my tag during the gun season so I have two to fill. I have been holding out for some of thebigger bucks I have been seeingbecause of the contest. Well a few weeks ago I spotted a small 8point (about 70in) with one of his antlers growning funny. The left side beam is completely rotated foward to where the tip of the antler is touching his nose. He has been making his rounds and I have seen him on several occasions. One time he spent some time below me and I got a real good look at him. It doesn't seem to have been damaged, I think it's genetics.

My problem is this, I think this antler will give this deer much trouble next year if it grows the same way. It's so close now, there is no doubt it will go into his nose next year. I would like to shoot him but I would be hurting my team. I stand a pretty good chance of killing a 100+ in buck or maybe even bigger as I have seen a few on the land I hunt.

I am pretty sure I will see him again but time is running out the second rut is in swing and I don't think he will keep this pattern for too much longer.

What would you guys/gals do?