Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Late Season strategy? >

Late Season strategy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Season strategy?

Old 12-04-2005, 10:13 PM

Default Late Season strategy?

This is the first year I'm going to have the opportunity to hunt the late bow season here in Wisconsin, late December actually. I was just wondering what kinda strategies you guys have, what kinda scentsdo you use (if any)?

Thanks for your input!
Old 12-05-2005, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Late Season strategy?

This will be the first time I am after a buck this late into the season for quite a few years. In my experience the late season is by far the hardest time to arrow a mature buck.

I am going to key in on the left over acorns that are located near some secondary bedding areas.

If you can't key in on an in woods food source just try out an observation stand for a hunt or two near a primary bedding area. This should key you in on a good setup. Unless of course you have snow on the ground then a short scouting trip will let you know everything you need to know.

Best of luck.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Food and bedding areas. Then food, food, food. The late season is hard but the patterning is so much easier than some of the other times if you can take the elements. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting bucks in late season.

1. They need to replentish fat reserves. Feed is key, a good source of carbohydrates they will seek.

2. Rest, they won't move much and will rest a lot. They may be camped very close to food sources and may not move much during daylight hours if they know they are being hunted. Think through your set ups, entrance and exit routes.

3. Snow reads like a book, you can really use thisto your advantage right nowfor scouting, patterning and backtracking. Especially if your after a specific deer.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually don't do late season bowhunting but I probably will now that I'm living in an area with a short season and a late bowseason. My question is how do you actually shoot a bow when it's that cold? Do you keep your hand in a muff with a warmer in it? I shoot fingers so I have to have my fingers exposed on my shooting hand, which I normally do by having fingerless glove on my right hand with the shooting glove on top. But that glove isn't warm enough in late season and a thick glove on my left hand might make it hard to feel my bow properly. What are some tricks you guys use to shoot with winter clothing on?
Old 12-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Site Bouncer

About all you can do is keep you shooting hand in a pocket or warmer of some kind until it's time to shoot. I use a nice warm waterproof glove for my bow had and I use a thin (mild weather) glove on my shooting hand. I shoot a release but still like to get a good feel on the trigger. When my hand gets cold I just put it in my pocket.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:04 PM

Just harvested my second doe yesterday in chilly central WI. Counted more does than any day during early season. Saw nice big bucks but not close enough. If you're setting a tree stand in winter woods make sure it's higher than usual. The winter woods seem to amplify sound not muffle it. And the deer as more wary after the gun season so you need to really to out of sight and very quiet.

Interesting observation - the two days I was out in late seasonI started seeing deer almost exactly at the moon's transitpoint (when the moonis at its highest point). Some thinks that's not a coincidence. I'm not sure. But I'll be checking that more in the future. {You can check moon transit time for your location at http://aa.usno.navy.mil/.}

If it gets really cold in your area in late season I'drecommend getting The Body Heater. I rarely recommend products but that thing really works. I was out all day for two days and it never got warmer than 19 degrees and I never once felt cold with that thing on. And its easy to get it out of the way to shot.

Shot true! And don't stop trailing till you see brown.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: redfletch

{You can check moon transit time for your location at http://aa.usno.navy.mil/.}

Thanks for the link!