Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late season strategy

Old 11-19-2003, 05:50 AM

Default Late season strategy

Since I didn' t get anything during the opening weekend, it looks like I' ll be heading back up north for the closing weekend. Anybody care to enlighten me on what tactics I should try? I figure the rut should be over by then so I' m thinking that the deer will turn their attention to finding food. Any thoughts?
Old 11-19-2003, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late season strategy

I would definately look for feeding areas. Especially if you don' t have time to scout ahead of time.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Hunt your azz off , and use food scented lures if they' re legal .
Old 11-19-2003, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

here in northern MN, it' s prime rutting time until the 20th. Look for the scrapes that are active and set up near if possible. Rattling has been good to me this time of year. I also like to stalk hunt in mid day. VERY SLOWELY walk the woods, you' d be surprised how many deer you can see. Happy Hunting! Steve
Old 11-19-2003, 11:00 AM

Check with your local DNR or biologist to find out if the does that didn' t breed are in a late rut phase. The ones that didn' t breed, hit another estrous cycle about 28 days after the rut.

Hunt the food. The need to feed is critical. Metabolic rates increase with the colder weather, and the deer need to replenish themselves from the rigors of the rut.

Talk to local farmers, etc to see if the deer are concentrating in an area, feeding during daylight hours or are they more nocturnal. They' ll know.

Stand placement is also important. You need to find the staging area where the deer are congragating. Hunt an area where more than one trail meet since bucks rarely enter a feeding area from the exact same trail each evening.

Good luck...
Old 11-19-2003, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sitting in your stand ALL DAY can be very productive--esp if there are other hunters walking out/in for a lunch break. Even without other hunters, I always see some midday activity and the deer seems to be pretty much at ease then--not expecting hunters to be there.