Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Accuracy standard before taking to the woods? >

Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

Old 12-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Accuracy standard before taking to the woods?

I shoot at #D targets and i like to make a killing shot at least 5 times in a row from various ranges. I dont think it is realisic to sit there at a perfectly marked range and shoot groups, it is good practice but it is differrnt then hunting i think. personally i dont shoot farther than 30 yards but if i had more time to practice i would increase my range i think.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

i practice at fourty yards just so 20/30 yard shots come easier. my personal standard is to hit a pie plate at 30 yards. anything over thirty yards is letgo unless it feel i can pull it off, but everything has to be perfect and i got to be feeling it so to speak.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

I have practiced enough to be confident out to 40 yds. I would not
risk a shot that I did not feel confident. I would suggest in the off
season to shoot in some 3D ranges or tounaments. You will not
believe how much this will help your shooting and yardage estimates.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't go worrying about some mythical standard you should adhere to before going hunting. There is a distance you are comfortable with, right now. That is the distance where you are absolutely confident you can hit where you aim. Whether that's 5 yards or 30 yards, keep your shots within your confidence zone and go hunting.

Then, during the off season, shoot 3D's and practice. There is always room for improvement, and improvement doesn't come when the bow is gathering dust and cobwebs in the back of the closet.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't go worrying about some mythical standard you should adhere to before going hunting. There is a distance you are comfortable with, right now. That is the distance where you are absolutely confident you can hit where you aim. Whether that's 5 yards or 30 yards, keep your shots within your confidence zone and go hunting.

Then, during the off season, shoot 3D's and practice. There is always room for improvement, and improvement doesn't come when the bow is gathering dust and cobwebs in the back of the closet.
That's a wonderful reply....and good advice.

I practice to 40 yds......and I ALWAYS practice with broadheads during hunting season. I put the little 1" "sale" sticker dots on my layered target....and shoot at the different dots (So as not to destroy arrows/broadheads).

If you guys are shooting tight groups....how are you not KILLING arrows/broadheads??? Are you doing this with field points? I had my bow ABSOLUTELY dialed-in at one point this Fall. I was ABSOLUTELY amazed at how in-tune my bow was (I even made a post here about comparing it with a fine instrument being in tune). THEN.....I shot a broadhead. Different story....by a few inches at 30 yds.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2005, 09:55 AM

I use the 1" bullseye stickers and it improved my accuracy a lot. It's like Mel Gibson said in The Patriot, "aim small, miss small."

As far as what standard, like Arthur said, shoot at a distance you are comfortable with. If you are confident you can hit the vitals at that distance, then make that your max. With practice that distance will increase. You should simulate real hunting situations when you make this decisions; clothing, stand height, broadheads, 3D target, etc...
Old 12-05-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

He made a great point here......."simulated hunting conditions. (hunting clothes, with broadheads and in the positions you will shoot from)"

You MUST practice in the gear you'll wear in the field. Shooting with a tee-shirt on is ALOT different than having a heavy winter coat on.

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

Keeping all your shots in a 4" circle at your maximum distance under simulated hunting conditions. (hunting clothes, with broadheads and in the positions you will shoot from) Even though I practice out to 50 yds I won't shoot past 30.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:11 PM

4 inch groups does it for me, whether its at 15 or 50 yards. i just dont exeed my 4 inch group distance in the stand.now i can consistently shoot 4 inch groups at 40 yards, though i have yet to shoot at a deer that far. 30-35 yards is about it for me.