Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Found hunting ground >

Found hunting ground

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Found hunting ground

Old 12-03-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Found hunting ground

I think i found a great bowhunting terrain... in my backyard! I went to take a look at the wildlife on a vast 27 holes golf course that is located behind my backyard. I saw lots of deer track in the sandbunkers, waterfowl, and was supprised by a jackrabbit who ran away from 15 feet away when walking next to the greens. I asked my neighbour who works on the golfcourse if i could wander on their property. He said no prob. If the golfers see that you are dressed in camouflage they won't give you a second look. This is a upper class golf course and the local visitors don't give the wildlife a second look, nor do they wonder into the adjacent woods.
My guess is that he wildlife, who is known to be abundent is used to the smell and sound of people and they have no fear because golfers aren't know to pose a threat to the wildlife.
I don't think i can put a treestand up, but a groundblind might work.
So i can hunt but not with a firearm. They don't want their precious golf greens shot up and don't wan't to scare the golfers but bowhunting should not be a problem.
Thegreensare also closed during snowfall (snow and golf don't mix)[8D], so i might have a hidden treasure in my hands.
The course itself is woodpatches, waterholes, sandbunkers, and greens. Vegetation and cover is abundent.

Should i put a salt block and some corn to draw the wildlife to a certain area?

Old 12-03-2005, 08:14 AM

Default RE: Found hunting ground

I would just look at where there is the most deer sigh and sit there..
Old 12-03-2005, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Putting a salt block and corn on the ground for hunting purposes would be deemed as baiting. If baiting is legal in your state then do so if you wish.

Old 12-03-2005, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

if you just got permission to hunt id jump on the freshest sign i could find, maybe play a couple holes of golf, then after season id scout deep and heavy. good luck to ya
Old 12-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Spike

Thats awesome that u can hunt on the golf course. I work for a golf course in the summer but it is a forest preserve so there is no hunting, but there are tons of deer. The only problem i would have with this is im betting that just like the deer at my course, the deer at your golf course are not shy of humans. When i am working u can get within 10 yards or so of them, walking right at them, in the open while they watch you, and they dont run. It might be something to do but i dont know if it would be very sporting just because the deer at my course act more like pets than than wild game. Just my two cents
Old 12-04-2005, 05:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I doubt that popping one of those "human comfortable" bucks would be sporting , but the place sounds like a meat hunter's dream . I have to wonder how the owners will react the first time a foursome is interrupted by a hemmorhaging buck running past them though , could be a touchy subject for them . It might be prudent to view this place as a meat only spot and save it for later in the season when the golfers aren't present just in case . Personally , I find hunting a herd of does at least as challenging as hunting a smart old buck. So many more eyes, noses , and ears to fool .
Old 12-04-2005, 11:38 AM

Off course the deal was that the paying members would never be confronted with any gruesome scenes.
So this means only hunting small game, shots around dusk, during heavy pouring or snow.
I realise that although there are benefits there are also big drawbacks as well.
The most important factor will be to be as low profile as possible.
I bought a ground blind so i can hunt there in adverse conditions like pouring rain and light snow.
Other times i'll have to wait till everyone is off the course and in the country club drinking.
I know it will probably mean night tracking and i can't give up on a search but nothing comes cheap.
Old 12-04-2005, 12:55 PM

I'd set that salt block just outside the 19th hole. After downing a
12 pack hit the poor sucker over the head with your 9 iron
Old 12-05-2005, 01:38 AM

Nope, i got the advise to lie on my back, put the salt block on my belly and strangle the deer!
I don't own any golf gear, not even a remote controled golf cart, so using a golf club is out of the question.
Thinking about it, those remote controled golfcarts are real tricky, i hope i never confuse one of them with a nice buck [8D]
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 AM
Spike

Thats cool,plus if your not seeing anything ,you could practice your chipping and putting,gotta keep up on that short game,,,Ha Ha

Quick Reply: Found hunting ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.