Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Trail camera's, which is the best for the $? >

Trail camera's, which is the best for the $?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Trail camera's, which is the best for the $?

Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trail camera's, which is the best for the $?

I have tried just about every camera on the market. Currently I own (3) Moultrie Game Spy 100s, (1) Cuddeback 3MP, and (1) Moultrie Game Spy 200. Each has it's own faults, but of all of the ones I have tried, these perform the best. The Moultrie 100 has a pretty slow trigger speed and does get false pictures occasionally, the night shots are a little grainy but for $100, it does a good job. The Cuddeback takes great pictures and triggers very fast but the flash sucks on it. It will detect well out past 30', but the flash is only good for about 20'. The Moultrie 200 has impressed me the most so far. The trigger speed is not as fast as the Cuddeback, but the flash is way better and the picture quality is just as good. It also shows temperature and moon phase on the print aong wit the date, time and camera ID. I have over 400 pics on this camera in a 2 week period and I have no fale pictures. Bass Pro has this camera on sale right now for $149. I would highly recommend a rechargeable batter yand a solar panel since it is a bit power hungry. Normal price on the camera is still less than $200.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:25 PM

I just bought a moultrie 200. It isn't here yet, but I went to chasingame.com to help make my decision. Like mike said I think I'm going to love having the temp and moon phase on the pic. My uncle has a cuddeback and it works okay for him. I don't think you could go wrong either way.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Ditto what Mike said. The Moultrie 200 is a very good camera for the money. Trigger speed around 2-3 sec., flash effective out to 30'.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

My cousin has 2 cuddebacks thay are awesome, of course so is the $400 price tag. I have a cheapy 35 mm. Would love to go digital with a cuddeback but that's a big sticker price!
Old 12-08-2005, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Take a look at Leaf River. It has the best picture quality I have seen. Much "cleaner" than the Cuddeback and VERY powerful flash. Battery life is outstanding and the new model has a trigger time of 1.8 seconds and a wider motion beam so even a walking deer should be somewhat centered in the picture.
Old 12-08-2005, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have last years model Leaf River and its a piece of junk. Trigger speed about 4-6 seconds. Decided to try their new and improved and faster model and ended up sending it back. Same camera and same junk. I have two Cuddebacks and they are the best IMO. Also got the new Moultrie GameSpy 200 but its got a sensor problem so it will go back for replacement.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob, wht type of sensor problem are you having with your GS200?
Old 12-09-2005, 04:00 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas

Rob, wht type of sensor problem are you having with your GS200?
It will not trigger until you walk passed it two times. Or if you walk in front of it and stand there it won't trigger until around 10-15 seconds!. I talked to a tech yesterday and he told me to ship it back and they would replace.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the money: DC300 runs around $100, here's one link to it to see it:

http://www.biggameproshop.com/gameinfrared-camera2.htm

I have the DC100 and it works flawlessly. Its a 35mm camera, but has good flash range, good trigger speed and is easy to setup. Going digital is nice, especially if you can get one with memory cards that fit into your camera, simply bring the camera with you, swap mem cards and you can immediately see what you have.

From what little I have seen about digital, trigger speed is an issue.

My cousin has the cuddleback and loves it.

--Bob