Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration? >

HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

Old 11-29-2005, 11:41 PM

Default RE: HELP!! Muzzy 4 blade penetration?

See my post here

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1258688&mpage=2&key=?

I have since resharpened that Muzzy 125 grn 4 blade broadhead and have killed a med size hog at about 30yds. And resharpened it again ready for the next animal that makes the fatal mistake.
Old 11-30-2005, 12:33 AM

Tuning can also be an issuewith penetration. If your arrow fishtailed at all, you would lose some penetration because it did not hit the deer squarely.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

The arrow should no longer be fishtailing at 55 yards. The vanes would have stabilized it by then. The real issue here is that we have a person shooting at his first deer at 55 yards with a bow. I think most of us would never shoot at a deer that far away with a bow regardless of how experienced we are. I shoot thousands of arrows every summer from various situations with my Razortec at 68 pounds and I refuse to shoot at any animal beyond 30 yards. Yes, I have taken practice shots at 40, 50 and even 60 yards but I am way too inconsistent at that range. And like somebody else said, the deer can move alot on a 55 yard shot! Not to harp on the issue but really try to keep your shots below 30 yards and you will have much better luck. Not to mention our obligation to the animal to only take shots we are sure about....
Old 11-30-2005, 07:29 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

2 inches over what you would consider the top of the kill zone would mean you hit it in the loin muscles. They extend down farter toward the chest than most people think. With that kind of hit you would only get a few inches if penetration. Goes through the muscle then into a dorsal spinal process.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Soilarch
I hadn't thought of removing 2 blades. I may try that and see how drastic the POI change is with the practice blades.
Only use on side of the practice blade also. Not any changes
with me between practice and blades. You have to get the 2 blade kit. It's a ferrel size "blade" to flll the gap. Good luck to ya.