Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy >

What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy

Old 06-01-2004, 12:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy

I was wondering if there was any difference, or just personal preference?
Old 06-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy

One blade!!!!!!!!! Seriously, four blades is better if you can get them to fly perfectly. The more cutting surface the better--up to a point. However, three blade heads are usually easier to tune due to less wind=planing. However, it's not always possible to get the best flight from a particular broadhead. Especially Muzzy's. You have to try them to find out. I've gotten much better consistent flight from InnerLoc 3 blades.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy

In the 100 grn heads not much performance is identical. In the larger heads the 4 blade versions cut much bigger holes but don't penetrate quite as well. In either case both offer all the cut and or penetration you will need on deer size game, provided your setup is at least average.
Old 06-02-2004, 08:33 AM

Used 3-blade 130 gr. Muzzys on my 2317s ,they wind planed at a 12 pt. muley ,shot under him twice @ 35 yrds +...he ran anther 30 yrds. looked @ me and drilled him in the chest w/ a good ol 145 gr. Bear Razor ..with the arrow up to the fletch ..he didnt go very far ...
Old 06-02-2004, 09:55 AM

I have bought me some muzzy 4-blade 125's for this fall, they are flying pretty true so far at the range. I also like the way they have practice blades with them for free now. Any broadhead could fly straight as long as you have the blades lined up with your fletching. If your vanes are in the "T" form, then your blades should be in the exact same form. You should be able to look down your arrow from the nock point and see a straight "T". But if you have 4 blades, then you might want to switch to four vaned arrows. Too many times guys just slap a broadhead on and expect it to fly straighter than a bullet, but if your fletchings and blades aren't lined up you're going to be in for a surprise at that moment of truth.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sorry to burst your bubble avid, but lining up the fletchings is an old wives tale. Guys have proven it on here several times. If your bow is tuned properly your broadheads should fly straight regardless of how they are lined up with the fletchings.
Old 06-02-2004, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

....lining up the fletchings is an old wives tale. Guys have proven it on here several times. If your bow is tuned properly your broadheads should fly straight regardless of how they are lined up with the fletchings.
Agreed. Not only must the bow be tuned, but the arrows as well. I suspect those that feel they are getting better flight with the blades and fletches lined up have simply turned the insert or adjusted the broadhead via an o-ring to where it now is straight.

I've been shooting NAP new 4 blade Razorbacks since last summer with no alignment whatsoever. What's more, the RB has a rotating catridge so the blades are usually in a different position on each shot. They shoot as well as I can shoot them out to the max distance I've tried (45 yards).

To the original topic. The little Muzzy 90's, even with their small 1" cutting diameter leave a pretty wicked hole due to that extra blade. For a 1" cut and under I would want at least 4 blades cutting. For a 3 blade head I prefer at least 1 & 1/8".
Old 06-02-2004, 07:55 PM

ORIGINAL: HORN-HUNTER

Used 3-blade 130 gr. Muzzys on my 2317s ,they wind planed at a 12 pt. muley ,shot under him twice @ 35 yrds +...he ran anther 30 yrds. looked @ me and drilled him in the chest w/ a good ol 145 gr. Bear Razor ..with the arrow up to the fletch ..he didnt go very far ...
Huh. Never had one do that. Did they do that when you practiced with them?
Old 06-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

rybohunter you are 100% correct a few years back different bow mags did testing. They found it didn't matter how the fletchings and the broadhead lined up. They found what mattered most, was if the arrow/bow was in tune or not. I will add that a four blade head will not penetrate as deep as a three or a two blade. It doesn't matter if it does have a larger cutting area, if it can't penetrate deep enough to make a quick kill. Of course on the average whitetail you don't have to worry about this problem. But with bigger game like elk, moose, bear you want all the penetration you can get.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:44 AM

My Hoyt Provantage proved to be in tune W/arrows flying true..there was a small breeze blowing ...so I guess that was the cause...Bear Razors have been a proven head for me in taking game !!!
ORIGINAL: HORN-HUNTER

Quick Reply: What Is The Difference IN Shooting A 3 Blade Muzzy Vs: a 4 Blade Muzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.