Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED* >

Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

Old 11-26-2005, 05:59 PM

Default Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

I'm a bowhunter which is the reason I am posting this here.
Tonight I took my teenage sister out to try and get her a deer with the slug gun. She has gotten only one beforeand always has luck against her so I tried to help her out.

We had 7 does come out at about 60 yards and after making her calm herself down and take a very steady rest on the downed log in front of her i told her she could take the shot. She shot and the big doe sprang straight up in the air. A little bit of a hind leg kick but more of a spring straight up and she took of across the field with 6 other deer. They all travelled about 50 yards and stopped and started walking and eating again, except her. Her tail was down and her back hunched high just like a cat. First instinct was gut shot. We backed carefully out the way we came so as not to diturb her and we made a big cricle to view the field from about 200 yards away. The other deer were still in the cornfield and eating, but she was laying down. We stayed there and watched her until it was dark. The other deer eventually moved 50-60 yards away from her as they ate and then she got up. She walked hunched over to the other deer and layed back down and they once again started feeding away from her. Then it was dark. We wathed her for about 20 minutes.

This was at 5pm and my thoughts are still gut. I plan on going back at 6am when it is light, 13 hours, and I plan to find her dead in that field.

My sister feels horrible and I feel terrible for her and the deer but I think we have handled it perfectly. BUT, the springing straight up confuses me. I have never seen a gutshot deer do this. Has anyone else seen a gutshot deer spring straight up?
Old 11-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Confirm my thoughts please?

I agree with your gut shot theory. I have not noticed one ever do the old
high kick but they can be unpredictable. You did the right thing by backing off
and observing. Since you did not push her, I would suspect you will find her in the
field in the morning. Good luck and tell your sister to keep her spirits up, it happens
to the best sometimes.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:37 PM

Poor ol' doe. Good job getting out of there quietly and observing. As for the shot placement, I don't know for sure but your gut shot theory sounds pretty good. Though you feel bad sometimes, it does happen sometimes. Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2005, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's definantly not lungs. Maybe liver, or gut. I feel like it is probably a gut shot. I'd jump straight up too if I got hit witha deer slug.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a gutshot to me. You did good getting out of their quickly and watching her from a distance. I once watched a gutshot deer that we were tracking during a muzzleloader hunt, spring up and in that time we took two more running shots at her to see if we could put her down. She only ran another 60 yds before bedding down. It was obvious she didn't want to move. We finished her off with one more shot.

Listening to your story of the doe's reaction reminds me of exactly what that doe did.
I truely belive that when you guys go out to the field in the morning, you will find her dead. Use this doe as an example for your sister to teach her about why this shot killed, and how she should try to improve in the future. Turning a sad situation into a learning situation is always a good idea.
GOOD JOB on getting out....and I want to see a harvest pic tomorrow afternoon!
Steven
Old 11-27-2005, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think the deer jumped straight up as a reaction to the sound of the slug gun.

It definitly sounds like a gut shot, perhaps liver. You should find this deer since you didnt push her.
Old 11-27-2005, 07:12 AM

if somebody shoved a red hot poker through my innards i'd jump like a #@!%***
Old 11-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

Did you have any luck finding her?
Old 11-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Did you get her yet???

Since its already 10.15 I have a feeling that you are butchering her up right now....but remember I WANT PICS!
Old 11-27-2005, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with all above. If she was mortally hit and you DID NOT push her. She will be dead just out of the field. You should find a few beds close together. I think she would get up and try and make it to some cover before expiring.

Quick Reply: Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.