HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2005, 05:59 PM
MNpurple

Default Confirm my thoughts please? *UPDATED*

I'm a bowhunter which is the reason I am posting this here.
Tonight I took my teenage sister out to try and get her a deer with the slug gun. She has gotten only one beforeand always has luck against her so I tried to help her out.

We had 7 does come out at about 60 yards and after making her calm herself down and take a very steady rest on the downed log in front of her i told her she could take the shot. She shot and the big doe sprang straight up in the air. A little bit of a hind leg kick but more of a spring straight up and she took of across the field with 6 other deer. They all travelled about 50 yards and stopped and started walking and eating again, except her. Her tail was down and her back hunched high just like a cat. First instinct was gut shot. We backed carefully out the way we came so as not to diturb her and we made a big cricle to view the field from about 200 yards away. The other deer were still in the cornfield and eating, but she was laying down. We stayed there and watched her until it was dark. The other deer eventually moved 50-60 yards away from her as they ate and then she got up. She walked hunched over to the other deer and layed back down and they once again started feeding away from her. Then it was dark. We wathed her for about 20 minutes.

This was at 5pm and my thoughts are still gut. I plan on going back at 6am when it is light, 13 hours, and I plan to find her dead in that field.

My sister feels horrible and I feel terrible for her and the deer but I think we have handled it perfectly. BUT, the springing straight up confuses me. I have never seen a gutshot deer do this. Has anyone else seen a gutshot deer spring straight up?