Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grunting?

Old 10-09-2002, 08:06 PM

Default grunting?

when is the best time to grunt or bleat? i live in western illinois and would appreciate anyone's opinion. thanks

Stop anti-hunters!
Old 10-09-2002, 08:44 PM

Default RE: grunting?

After about an hour of hunting and not seeing anything, I grunt or bleat about 3 times every 15 minutes or so. Look real hard though so you don't overlook a deer near by..........When I see a Buck but he is out of range or is not coming my way, (This is my favorite time to grunt).........I grunt a couple of times to try and get his attention......If it gets his attention, he's likely to follow the sound to my stand.

Edited by - W. Dale on 10/09/2002 21:46:15
Old 10-09-2002, 09:01 PM

One good thing about the grunt call is I have never seen it spook a deer, assuming you don't just completly go crazy with it. I agree with W.Dale, I think a sequence every 15 minutes or so is appropriate.

I posted a topic recently about the best grunt call, many suggested the TRUE TALKER call so I bought one. This is the neatest call I ever saw. You can mix up your calls (without adjustments)in a sequence to sound like more than one deer. I'm excited about giving it a try...Fletch

Good Luck All....Fletch
Old 10-09-2002, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

I got my first deer 3 yrs. ago using a grunt. A 4 pt. buck was about 80-100 yards out. I grunted at him and got him to look my direction. About every 10 min. or so I would grunt again. After thinking he went in the other direction,I gave up grunting for a little bit. Then I caught a glimpse of him coming up out of the ravine in front of me at 40 yards. Nailed him at 20 yards. Like fletch said though, don't go crazy. Don't be surprised if you have a few catch you off guard. Good Luck
Old 10-10-2002, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had good success using a grunt call. I've had my best luck in the pre rut but i'll use it just about anytime. It doesn't work everytime but when it does it's something to behold.
Old 10-10-2002, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I really use a call is as a last stitch effort to get a buck to come to me. I will rarely call unless I have seen a buck and he is either out of range or moving in a direction that I can't get a shot. I had a nice buck one time come from behind walking fast(where I couldn't get a shot) and walk directly under my stand, he was going through stuff to the left of me where I couldn't shoot, and he was also walking too fast. I grunted one time fairly loudly, and he stopped and circled me giving me a nice 25 yard shot. If it wasn't for the grunt call, I never would have gotten him.

But there are too many people around me that just blow their grunt calls at nothing. To me, staying silent works well, except in the instance of a last stitch effort.

Edited by - BobCo19-65 on 10/10/2002 08:02:58