Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
5shot, Spitfire test revisited >

5shot, Spitfire test revisited

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5shot, Spitfire test revisited

Old 10-09-2002, 01:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default 5shot, Spitfire test revisited

5shot

In you’re broadhead test you mentioned removing the retaining clips from the Spitfires and using rubber bands. I have been doing that same thing this year and have had great results. I use the heads for Feral Hogs, Coyotes and other small game and have had no problems (can‘t use mechanicals on big game here) . I still keep the retainer clips on my gobbler getters because I want as much shock on impact as I can get. My question is if you used the rubber bands instead of the clips how would the heads rate in you’re tests?

I have shot the Shockwaves, Steel Heads and Reaper razor tips for comparison. I just prefer the modified Spitfires. Plus I have so many replacement blades and heads my wife would use them on me if I spent any more money on broad heads. I really liked the steel heads, but they are not near as shop as the NAP blades. Just my $.02

Andrew
>>>--------->X<---------<<<
Old 10-09-2002, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5shot, Spitfire test revisited

With the Spittfires modified in the way you describe I rate them very high. They are strong, sharp, accurated, and open fast, much faster in fact than they do if you use the retainer clips. I know New Archery products does not condone this practice, but it is my opinion that they work much better without the clips. I would say that the score would go up at least two points, maybe more becuase of the increased speed at which the heads open. I know the oragnge and plywood scores would go up. I may need to run an actual test in this manor just to see what happens.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-12-2002, 05:51 PM
Spike

5Shot,
Exactly how do you put the rubber band on the heads for quick opening? I've got several Spitfires that I'd like to modify.
Old 10-13-2002, 06:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

First you remove the retaining clips. Then get some little rubberbands like rocket heads use. I just roll them up near the blade tips. In this way the blades are held closed until they hit. You will find they open faster this way, and they are just as accurate. Keep in mind though new archery products will not recomend this, but I firmly believe they work better this way.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 10-13-2002, 09:01 AM

I use the spitfires,and have found that if you open and close then several times,it kinda flatens the little depression on the retainer. it still holds them firmly but not as hard to open.I have taken 8 bucks since I started using them and they all opened on impact. just a though.

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 10-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Spike

I took one of my spare bands from my Snypers and put it on the Spitfire. Maybe a doe will walk by tomorrow so that I can test it. 5Shot, thanks for all the good info that you have put out here.