Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire >

My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire

Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire

Old 10-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire

I have be trying to figure out what broadhead to shoot this year and I narrowed it down to 3 choices: Muzzy 3 blade, Muzzy 4 blade and the Spitfire XP all in 100 grain.

I know all of these broadheads are very good, I have killed several deer and bear and caribou with the Muzzy 3 blade. I was on a bear hunt this spring and most of the guys were using the Spitfire XP's. I was very impressed with their performance but I was worried that I was not shooting enough energy with my set up to use them so I decided to do a little test for myself.

All three of the broadheads tested were brand new with new blades and were shot into a brand new Yellow Jacket target.

The test bow is my trusty MQ1 set on 60 pounds with 29 inch draw, a MZE rest and shooting a XX78 2314 27.5 inch arrow with full helical vanes.

Each broadhead was shot into a new spot on the target with the same arrow, 8 shots from 20 yards and 8 shots at 30 yards. My main concern was penetrations. Below are the total penetration averages for each head.

Muzzy 3 Blade 100 grain - 13"
Muzzy 4 Blade 100 grain - 12.5"
Spitfire XP 100 grain - 11.25"

As far as accurcy is concerned the Spitfire XP and the Muzzy 4 seemed equal to me with the Muzzy 3 being close behind.

I expected the Muzzy's to penetrate better than the Spitfire because of the smaller diamater but I was surprised that the Muzzy 3 blade penetrated better than the 4 blade.

Also the Spitfire does not seem to like foam targets, afters a few shots the retaining clips would bend and I had to keep replacing them.

I would highly reccommend the Yellow Jacket target it stops arrows very well and the arrows are easy to remove..........time will tell how long it will last.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: My broadhead test- Muzzy 3 & 4, Spitfire

I would highly reccommend the Yellow Jacket target it stops arrows very well and the arrows are easy to remove..........
How many shots do you have into the target? I have a six shooter and got pass throughs very early in it's life.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

I only have a couple hundred shots in the Yellow Jacket so far and I'm still shooting the same side. You can shoot all four sides of this target.
So its to early to say how long it will last but its already better than what I have been using including the six shooter.
I will repost in a coulple of months and let you know how it is holding up but for $35. I think its going to be a great broadhead target.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:25 PM

I shot a doe Saturday with a Muzzy 3-blade (100 g). Carbon Express CX arrows moving at 279 ft/sec for 60 ft-lbs kinetic energy. The arrow broke her right shoulder and continued down through her lungs and heart. It came out on the low left side, breaking her left front leg around the elbow. That is two major bones and a couple ribs that arrow went through. I was impressed.

On the down side, the ferrel of the broadhead was bent so it is ruined. The trocar tip is just fine and appears indistinguishable from those of brand new broad heads. I saved the screw on tip (in case I need an extra sometime) and threw the rest away.
Old 10-15-2004, 09:23 AM

rachunter stay away from spitfire. i lost a nice buck due to bladesnot opening and the tip breaking off i have taken a nice 10 with my muzzy four blade.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:52 AM
Spike

Did you find your arrow, rewhaley?
Old 10-22-2004, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I expected the Muzzy's to penetrate better than the Spitfire because of the smaller diamater but I was surprised that the Muzzy 3 blade penetrated better than the 4 blade.
That would be expected because the muzzy 4 blade has more cutting surface than the 3 blade, which should equal less penatration!
Old 10-22-2004, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i lost a nice buck due to bladesnot opening and the tip breaking off
Sounds like bad shot placement was involved, as the tip just doesn't break off while going through the boiler room of a deer!
Old 10-22-2004, 10:19 PM

I love the Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain broadheads. I've used the spitfire and the thunderhead, but I've seen better results with Muzzy. I'd either go with the 3 or 4 blade Muzzy's.
I'd also heard of people losing deer because the spitfires broke when hitting bone, which is not always an awful shot, but I try and stay away from bone whenever I can