Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Could'nt shoot an old friend >

Could'nt shoot an old friend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could'nt shoot an old friend

Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 AM

Default Could'nt shoot an old friend

I moved into my house on five acres 3 years ago in a slightly suburban area. Beautiful lot with a 60 or 70 acre swamp backing up to it, great view in both summer and winter. The previous owners were an older couple who liked feeding the deer in the back yard out of a stainless 12inch dish full of corn. They mentioned they had a Doe and two fawns who frequented the dish every morning at dawn, which I thought was neat. My first morning I got up to go to work and sure enough they were there waiting for there breakfast. I threw on my shoes and went out to fill the dish why they watched at a safe distance of about 50 yards. I noticed one was a playfull button buck who liked to kick his sister so he could get into the bowl. Months turned into a year and before you knew it that buck turned into a nice fork with good mass and height. I developed a certian trust relationship with him over all that time like Kevin Costner and the wolf in Dances with Wolves. Most every morning he would be there and if the dish was'nt filled up he'd flip the dish over like my black lab, wondering what the hold up was. I everntually put a salt lick out and planted a little patch of clover for him. He'd run by sometimes mid day while i was mowing the lawn or trimming the trees, maybe just to say hi. My lab named "buddy" would chase him then he'd chase buddy. Really pretty funny. This year he's a nice, nice 8 point with a good 20" spread a 14" G2's.Alot more mature now and mostly turned nocturnal, still keeping a safe distance from me.I started hunting out back and noticed alot of the trees I've planted became his new places to make rubs. While in the stand last night he came in andlooked up at me knowing i wasup there, hes watched me climb intothat tree for years now, and gave me a look like"are you actually thinking about it". I could'nt do it.I've watched him grow up forthis long. Decided he can grow old in my back yard. Whats a couple trees anyways. Not to mention the 50 pounds of corn they eat every couple days. Just wish hed go make friends with another bruiser and lead him to my stand.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Default RE: Could'nt shoot an old friend

Awesome story! I don't think I could shoot him either.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:25 AM

Cool story! I don't think I could do that either!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:27 AM

Can I hunt him?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 AM

Sounds like he is one of the family. Let him grow and shoot him with your camera.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't shoot him either, why shoot a pet. Very neat story, get some pics of him for us to see, that would be cool! I hope he doesn't wonder onto someone elses land and get whacked, he may be tolerant of humans now that you have fed him over the years...

Old 11-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Sounds like what they do in Texas [:-]
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 AM

I would probably have alittle trouble hitting the release as well. Eventually tho He'll just die of old age ifsome neighbor down the road doesnt thump him. I say if he stays around a few years, about the time he starts to go down hill, I,d take him and stick him on the wall so he'll always be there for you to see. What a conversation piece! By the time he's that old he should be a challenge for you to take anyway. JMHO
Old 11-09-2005, 01:06 PM

Ya i got a stack of pictures at home, I'll bring them to work and scan em next timeI think of it. I do worry about the neighbors, but im glad to see he's gone nocturnal. Like sending a kid off to college, worry about him every night. hah.
Old 11-09-2005, 01:18 PM

Sounds like what they do in Texas [:-]
LOL.....

It would be cool to be able to observe that deer like that but I wouldput an arrow in hisneck in a year or two if he last that long. Give the meat to the homeless or something. And hang your buddy over the fireplace so you will always see him.

Quick Reply: Could'nt shoot an old friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.