Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Could'nt shoot an old friend >

Could'nt shoot an old friend

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Could'nt shoot an old friend

Old 11-09-2005, 02:57 PM

Default RE: Could'nt shoot an old friend

ORIGINAL: antlergetter

...I say if he stays around a few years, about the time he starts to go down hill, I,d take him and stick him on the wall so he'll always be there for you to see...
Perhaps I'll do that with my dog and wife when they start heading down hill as well. Then I can sit there by the fire with my cognac and seeand talk to them both...[&:]
Old 11-09-2005, 03:01 PM

No Offense or anything dude ..... but get serious!!! Think about this people raise cows all the time watch them grow for years and when they get big enough go outback and put a 22 round right between the eyes!!! I say shoot the deer mount his head if you really care about him that much and have a few steaks and good times! When I was little my brother and I had to raise cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and rabbits. My brother and I even named the animals but when they got big enough we knew they were dinner so we went and did what we had to do. If you wanna make it easier on your conscious think about it this way, like what was said beforehe probably frequents other pieces of property so I doubt he'll make it through thehunting season. So its simple.... either you shoot him and keep him for yourself or your neighbour shoots him.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

cool story for sure!!...i dont think i could harvest him either.

There was an older fellow up here that watched one grow up like that also
and he named it "bucky" and the buck made it to the age of like 6 or 7 years old
before some hunter shot him on the property next to the guys in late december.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:15 PM

i wouldnt or couldnt shoot him either, too the longer hes around the more his genetics get passed down and if hes a solid 8 pter like u said u should have good deer to hunt for years to come...cool story

Old 11-09-2005, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Introduce "Bucky" to "Sluggo".
Quit feedin' them darned animals before you quit hunting altogether.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:52 AM

ORIGINAL: QuickkillMcgee

No Offense or anything dude ..... but get serious!!! Think about this people raise cows all the time watch them grow for years and when they get big enough go outback and put a 22 round right between the eyes!!! I say shoot the deer mount his head if you really care about him that much and have a few steaks and good times! When I was little my brother and I had to raise cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, and rabbits. My brother and I even named the animals but when they got big enough we knew they were dinner so we went and did what we had to do. If you wanna make it easier on your conscious think about it this way, like what was said beforehe probably frequents other pieces of property so I doubt he'll make it through thehunting season. So its simple.... either you shoot him and keep him for yourself or your neighbour shoots him.

No offense taken. I see where your coming from, I was raised on a farm with cows, chickens, goats, pigs, etc...... And witnessed the 22cal to the head a few times. I'm taking about a whitetail thatI would rather admire and watch day to day out my back porch with my morning cup of coffee rather than have him lifelessly above my fireplace. And if he gets taken so be it,thats the way it works. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Im in the same boat. I moved into a house this past summer and there is a deer feeder in the back yard that is just outside the woods on ouor side of the property. I have been feeding a doe with twin button bucks and see them every morning when I bringsome corn out for them. They have watched mefill the small feeder and will even come to it when im only 10 feet from thefeeder. Theyve watched me mow the lawn, trim trees, etc. Theyre waiting for me at 4:30 every morning whenI get up to get ready for work, I turn on the back yard light and make my way to the feeder. Theyve even come up along the side of the garage to wish me a good day. I have become very fond of these 3 deer. I doubt that momma will make it through the gun season but who knows. I havent been in the house long enough to know how long she has been around. Im assuming quite sometime for being so uised to the house and people. She and her twins have takign a liking to me as well as me for them. Dont get me wrong though, if she brings in a nice buck on the property thatI am renting and happen to have my bow or gun handy, hes getting it. But as for momma and babies, they can grow. I just hope that taking a buck behind her doesnt ruin our bond that we have made in the last few months. Shes a very pretty deer and has some nice button bucks that im sure will become nice bucks as long as they can make it.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Think of it this way. When he's at his prime you can offer him a quick exit which is better than becoming feeble and dying of malnutrition or wild dogs, or hyperthermia, or a car at 55 mph. Death is a natural thing and he probably won't live past 7 years in the wild if he's smart and lucky. A good hit and he may never know what happened. Wait a few years and take him out while he still feels he's king of the woods.

Old 11-10-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a family consisting of one huge doe and her triplets--two bucks and their sister -- who used to come around our house on a regular basis. One of the little bucks actually looked in the window one time and watched a football game with me! She was pretty sharp though and not nearly as "understanding and tolerant" as your buck. She managed to elude me when hunting nearly every time--except once. Just like you though, I couldn't bring myself to shoot "momma."

A friend of mine actually raised a buck who eventually went more and more into becoming a wild deer. He thought this might happen and attached pink streamers from the buck's antlers so that hunters would feel strange shooting him.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: livbucks

Shouldn't feed wild animals.
I suppose I should take down all my birdfeeders then.

Good stories wis_bow_huntr and DaveH, nice to have a little wildlife in the backyard to enjoy.

Quick Reply: Could'nt shoot an old friend

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.