Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Drippers??? >

Scent Drippers???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Drippers???

Old 11-03-2005, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent Drippers???

Do you use them?
What scent do you use?
Do you have any LUCK with them?
Do you prefer to use mock scrapes or real scrapes?

Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Drippers???

I killed a nice buck on halloween evening using a scrape dripper. Before hunting my spot, I found 3 scrapes down the trail behing me and made a mock scrape underneath an overhanging limb about 15 yards from my stand. I was hoping to tick him off. When I put it up, I used latex gloves so as not to leave any scent and made the scrape pretty big so as to be seen. I used wildlife research active scrape in the dripper and left the area alone about 4 days. On halloween evening I snuck in to hunt and took a look at the scrape and they had been hitting it hard. At 5:30 I shot a 180 pound 10 point standing right in the middle of my scrape and he was licking the dripper and moving it around with his nose when I nailed him. You should of seen it, it was awesome. He was an old grey faced fighter who had 3 times busted off, and both of his ears were tore up bad. If not for this, he would be going on the wall. I couldn't find my arrow that night, so I waited a day, then me and my wife went back to look for it. On my way in to the stand, I saw another shooter standing right in the middle of my scrape. So in my opinion, they worked great for me. Try one, and good luck.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mathewsboy....i put mine out on tues and made a mock scrape in this spot where i found some big rubs, set up the trail camera near it, im kinda anxious to see if its been found yet yet by any of the bucks in the area.
I know 2 days isnt really much time, so i think i will wait a few more days then go and check it, and hunt it.

I put wildlife reasearch scent in mine #307 curisoty scent...but i know some guys on here where having good luck using the Active scrape in theirs.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Boy that sounds REAL promising..

Makes me want to go out and Buy 3 of them.. and put one at all my 3 rut stands...

HMMMM....
3 Bottles of Active Scrape 18$
3 Drippers $45
3 Days off of work $316

1 Big Buck dead... PRICELESS.......
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 AM

I have used scent drippers for several years now. I have used them on real and mock scrapes with good results. I always use them when I make a mock scrape and have used several different scents with good reults. I have even used drag rags with scent on them to make a trail to the scrapes. Some of my mock scrapes have been taken over by real bucks now and I don't have to do anything to them but hunt over them.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:32 AM

I am putting one out this weekend with camera on it. It will be there all week before I hunt it
Old 11-03-2005, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Let us know what kind of pictures you get...
Old 11-03-2005, 10:54 AM
Fork Horn

I'll let my thread I posted earlier this month, answer for me!

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1255733

Old 11-03-2005, 10:57 AM

Yeah, I went out and bought mine the same day I read your post
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

Just remember to try and stay as scent free as possible when hanging a dripper and making a mock scrape. In the past, I use to hang drippers over scrapes that had already been made, but I have alot more luck using a mock scrape because I think it makes a buck ticked, because he thinks someone is intruding in his bedroom. Its possible that several deer will hit your mock scrape, but if their is a big boy in the area he will most likely claim it and scent check it from the downwind side. They do this because with those noses they can actually scent check a good distance from the scrape. Always have the wind in your favor when hunting your scrape because of this and you will be alot more successful. Also, you don't have to wait until scrapes start showing up to make your own. I have put them out in early September in areas that I know their are shooter bucks, because it keeps their attention focused on that area and they are more on the look out for intruders. Just don't use a estrous scent to early because it can alert them Use something like a curiousity scent, and then switch to something like active scrape when the time is right. One very important thing to remember when using a dripper is that they are usually designed to work about a week on 1oz of scent. If you overfill them, they might not work right. I hope this helps you, and I hope you tag him. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Scent Drippers???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.