HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Scent Drippers???
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
BHunter32
Fork Horn

Default RE: Scent Drippers???

Just remember to try and stay as scent free as possible when hanging a dripper and making a mock scrape. In the past, I use to hang drippers over scrapes that had already been made, but I have alot more luck using a mock scrape because I think it makes a buck ticked, because he thinks someone is intruding in his bedroom. Its possible that several deer will hit your mock scrape, but if their is a big boy in the area he will most likely claim it and scent check it from the downwind side. They do this because with those noses they can actually scent check a good distance from the scrape. Always have the wind in your favor when hunting your scrape because of this and you will be alot more successful. Also, you don't have to wait until scrapes start showing up to make your own. I have put them out in early September in areas that I know their are shooter bucks, because it keeps their attention focused on that area and they are more on the look out for intruders. Just don't use a estrous scent to early because it can alert them Use something like a curiousity scent, and then switch to something like active scrape when the time is right. One very important thing to remember when using a dripper is that they are usually designed to work about a week on 1oz of scent. If you overfill them, they might not work right. I hope this helps you, and I hope you tag him. Good luck.