Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Mock Scrape Action w/ Pics >

Mock Scrape Action w/ Pics

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Mock Scrape Action w/ Pics

Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mock Scrape Action w/ Pics

So I decided to make a a mock scrape on a trail only 100 yards from our cabin.

I made the scrape at 2pm last Tuesday.

At 5:30pm, this guys stops by.

and over the next 2 days, I had a a dozen pictures featuring few button bucks and 4-5 doesas well. (6 of the 12 pictures were during daylight!)

Then on Thursday night, at 7:30 pm, this nice buck (a shooter to me) stopped by the scrape.

I refreshened the scrape on Friday afternoon, and when I checked the game camera on Sunday afternoon, I had another 16 photos, including 3 of a different small buck using the scrape! (I didn't pull the memory card yet however)

I have a stand behind the camera at about 20 yards, so I might need to sit there once or twice, to see what action it gets.

UPDATED 10/20/05: MORE BUCKS AT THE SAME SCRAPE

a little guy

a bigger 8 point

the next morning he comes back

then another little guy

then this big boy shows up this morning, while I was only 250 yards away!

EDITED Monday 10/24/2005 to add:

So after the big boy above came in, this little guy showed up that morning.

then that evening this two bucks came buy within minutes of each other.

Later that night, this respectable buck came in.

Then on 10/21/2005 these guys came to visit.

and right behind him was this guy

and later that morning was this little buck (small spike it appears)

Next was Saturday 10/22/05

early in the morning comes

I walked past the mock scrape at 4pm, and laid a scent trail leaving the mock scrape until I got to my stand 200 yards away. The buck below showed up at my stand at 6pm, and was a close as 7 yards head down quartering away, but I decided to pass him, knowing that bigger bucks are in the area. I hope I don't regret passing up such an easy shot.

then that night

Finally on Sunday,

this buck returned early in the morning.

and finally this button buck stopped by to check things out. (I have another photo in the sequence showing he is a button buck, but I like this picture better)

Because of all the pictures, I am not posting any of the DOES pictured at the scrape. each day at least 1 doe visits the scrape also.

Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM

Default RE: Mock Scrape Action w/ Pics

Hey nice looking pics, Ive been getting some good pics on scrapes lately too, keep em coming, thanks for sharing.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:26 AM

Awesome pics!! My favorite trailcam pics are alway of bucks at scrapes!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:27 AM

i tried the same thing, but i don't think anything ever came to it....nice deer though!
Old 10-18-2005, 10:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I put my camera on some scrapes but I own a digital Stealth Cam so it wont get any pictures, but it makes me feel better about hanging a $400 tree decorating device up than not using it at all. Hope you get some good pics over the scrapes.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:10 AM

Hey Dampland. What kind of scent are you using in the scent dripper. First buck looks interested in it as I'm sure the rest were. Were the bucks tearing the scrape up themselves. Thanks. Interested to know if you don't mind divulging any of your secrets.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

I used "Active Scrape" scent in the dripper. On the licking branch, I poured some 2004 left over Tink's 69.

I also wear rubber boots and rubber gloves when setting up the scrape, and I use a stick to rework the scrape each time I check it. (Makes it easier to see the tracks in the dirt.)

The big buck did refreshen the scrape, since he was the last photo before I checked it, and the scrape was scraped clean of leafs when I checked it.

I am going to change the setting on that camera to take 2 pics before resting for 2 minutes.

I hope to have more pictures next Sunday, when I come back from the hunting land.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. And nice looking deer. I am using the same setup but no sign of bucks in my area yet. Usually don't drop byuntil closer to the rut as we have a good number of does roaming through our woods. I have had the dripper in the same spot for a little over a week now and will move it to a different location this week near another trail. I've tried some slight rubs with a pruning saw too with no luck. Anyway, I think the scent is less than $12 for a 4 oz bottle and should last about a month. So it's cheap enough to experiment with for awhile.Good luck to you.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

We have a ton of does on our property. Our records seem to indicate a 15 doe to 1 buck ratio, which I already know is waaaay out of whack.

I try to make my mock scrapes in areas where the earth is really "potting soil" like in texture. It seems to hold the scent better than sandy or clay areas. Also, a licking branch is a MUST.

I'm certainly no expert, but I have been making mock scrapes for about 4 years now, and I would say that about 3 out of the 5 I make each year are freshened multiple times by bucks.

I have also noticed, that a TON of does/button bucks stop at scrapes.

Good Luck!
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Thanks for the advice. Will take it. I had to nail a licking branch and one for the dripper on and will in most cases. Sounds like our area. I have seen some big bucks these past few years but the does are a common occurrence, which is definitely a nice thing.

Quick Reply: Mock Scrape Action w/ Pics

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.