Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Wisconsin Rut Activity? >

Wisconsin Rut Activity?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wisconsin Rut Activity?

Old 11-02-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Wisconsin Rut Activity?

Just wondering if anybody knows how the rut activity is going in Wisconsin right now (Southeastern). I will be back from school this weekend and am interested in any info. Thanks.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Wisconsin Rut Activity?

I hunt in NW Wisconsin.

The bucks are chasing the does HARD. But the does aren't ready to be bred.

I saw 13 bucks this weekend. EVERY SINGLE ONE, I heard grunting first, before I ever saw them. 4 of the bucks I grunted in closer, and another 3 I grunted to and got them to stop. The scrapes are still being used, and on Sunday around noon, I was sitting by the fire in the cabin with 3 others. (I had just gotten back from hunting all morning in the rain, and was totally soaked.) Suddenly, a buck appeared less than 30 yards from the cabin. I opened the window, and grunted to him. The small 6-pointer looked right at us in the cabin, then proceeded to make a scrape; including peeing in it, right in front of us. He then walked off, nose to the ground on a doe trail.

I think this week and weekend will be great, but I fear next week will be the begin of the "lockdown".

I have seen bucks chasing does at 7:00am all the way to 5pm. Hunt all day if possible.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Awseme. That's exactly how it was in Iowa these past two weekends ( I draw my tag every other year and predominantly hunt in Iowa when I have my tag). Thanks for the response, can't wait to get out this weekend.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:39 AM

One more question.....I always use mock scrapes and have success with them, but for this weekend, would it be better to continue on with the mock scrapes or go withsome estrus scent along with estrust bleat/tending grunt? I'll be rattling as well.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM

I hunt southeastern wisconsin (Dodge County) and the bucks around me at still rubbin on trees and chasin does all over the place. I was combining a field and i had bucks fightin only 12 rows away and when that was over with the dominant buck chased after the dow bedded down that was only 20 rows away. so i would say the activity was pretty good around here.
Old 11-02-2005, 10:59 AM

Good deal......I'll be hunting both Washington and Dodge co. this weekend.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:32 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jpot141

One more question.....I always use mock scrapes and have success with them, but for this weekend, would it be better to continue on with the mock scrapes or go withsome estrus scent along with estrust bleat/tending grunt? I'll be rattling as well.
Don't know what to tell you on this one.

I have NEVER had even 1% success in rattling in my area.

I personally have never had deer follow a scent trail, but I know of other guys in my group who have.

For me, my best luck is with calling. Fawn Bleats and tending grunts.