Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any advice on tracking for a colorblind guy? >

Any advice on tracking for a colorblind guy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any advice on tracking for a colorblind guy?

Old 10-30-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Any advice on tracking for a colorblind guy?

I am a true case of full blown red-green colorblindness. The gene is traced throughout the family. My brother has it, my mother's brother has it, all my grandmother's brothers have it, and all my sister's kids will inevitably have it too. I have been rifle hunting deer for 10 years now, and dropped all my deer (and elk) dead in their tracks but two. The first one, my my father had to track till we found it nearly 100 yards away. And last year I had to have my girlfriend track my trophy muley 20 yards into the trees where it died. Pretty embarassing for at the time being a 25 year-old with several deer under his belt.
Now that I'm bow hunting, I'm afraid that I will be faced with blood trailing situations more often. I was wondering if anyone here has a similar problem, and what I could do to help my odds of recovering future animals that need to be trailed. I would very much like to be able to independantly find my own animals after the shot.
Old 10-30-2005, 12:35 PM

Default RE: Any advice on tracking for a colorblind guy?

hey man i feel ya on your problem.. i personnally am not colorblind but my best friend is.. and he was concerned about your same situation thats why he rifle hunted for so long..but he found this "game tracker" its like a spool of string that attatches to you stabilizer or sight bracket and when you shoot an animal the string goes where the animal goes.. my buddy has used it with great affect.. he shot a doe last year and it ran about 70 yrds, and it was so easy to track it cause all ya had to do was follow the string.. even if you go straight throw the deer the string is still attached to the arrow, and if you are afriad of the line breaking.. let me tell ya its is some strong stuff.. i played around with it..and i couldnt break it manualy i needed a knife to cut.. you should check it out

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0004838414978a&type=product&cm Cat=search&returnString=_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&%2Fcabelas%2 Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertifi cateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertific ate%2Fgiftcertificate.jsp%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26 podId%3D0005586%26catalogCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Dj ump%26indexId%3D&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2F CabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=+&am p;QueryText=Game+Traker&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen %2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jsp.form9&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx= mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=Game+Traker&no Image=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

hope this post helps ya with your problem
Old 10-30-2005, 01:53 PM

Thank you. I just got one off ebay for like $6.50. Does your buddy notice any differences in arrow flight, accuracy, etc.?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:13 PM

to answer your question... he had some ... but only when shooting longer distance..like 25 yr and out... but i put it on my bow for sh!ts and giggles.. and it was about the same on my bow.. shot great till about 25 yrds then i started seeing some arrow droppage.. my only suggestion is to def take a couple shots with it on..both with field tips at first then broadheads ( only if your using standards.. fixed blades) cause most expandables shoot just like a field tip.. good luck this season... if you get a deer be sure to post some pics..hope all of this helped...
Old 10-30-2005, 03:23 PM

Thank you for all your advice, and thanks for helping my work day go faster! It kinda makes for a long work day with no projects and hours of wishing I was outside. I will certainly post a picture if I get the opportunitry!!
Old 10-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hydrogen peroxide.

Carry a spray bottle with you or keep it in your vehicle. If you need to track a deer spray anythying that you think may be blood. It will bubble up and you can follow it.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:50 PM
Spike

"About 2,500 feet of ultra-light 17-pound nylon line is attached to the arrow and trails out of a canister mounted to the bow"

Is this a onetime use product or somthing. Just wondering how the string goes back into thecanister once its fired? Seems like it would be a pain if u got a real runner trying to wind that stuff back up.

What if the deer goes between trees or into bushs and breaks the line? I wouldn't think it would be to hard for a running deer to break the line.

Just wonderin

Old 10-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Aqua, you simply purchase another spool of line and put it into the device attached to your bow.

A spool costs about 6 or 7 dollars.

Of course if the deer goes down, in say, 100 yards that's only 300 feet gone so just clip it and use the same spool again on the next arrow. 2500 feet in nearly half a mile. If a person hasn't found the deer before that they need to leave it alone and come back hours later.