Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thinking about giving up the bow, going back to the gun. >

Thinking about giving up the bow, going back to the gun.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thinking about giving up the bow, going back to the gun.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 AM

Default RE: Thinking about giving up the bow, going back to the gun.

ORIGINAL: rocketman250r

The one this afternoon I waited about an hour because I thought it was lunged. I started searching right before the sun went down and searched until the battery in my flashlight started going dead. I would have waited longer but there is rain forcast for tomorrow (I really pick great times to wound deer, huh?) and I wanted to at least find a starting point of the trail to determine where the deer was headed after it jumped that fence and got out of my sight

This is something to think about. I have passed up a lot of chances on does because it was getting late in the evening and I didn't want to worry about trying to find them in the dark. Now a big buck is another story.
If you are like me and hunt in the evening after work a lot that is when
you are going to have the most chances; but when it comes to killing does
I prefer to do it on Friday evenings or weekend mornings so I have more time for finding them and getting them out of the woods.

If I wouldn't take the shot on a doe, then I wouldn't take the shot on a buck either. Don't give up man. I couldn't find the first deer (doe) I shot with the bow either. Made a poor hit far back and pushed the deer too early. Tracked for about 400 yars to a river and nothing. The next year I shot another doe, couldnt find it either, Then 6 seasons went by and I recovered all seven deer that I shot, the next year I lost a six point that would've been my biggest bow kill to date. This year missed 2 doesand killed one. I haven't even seen a buck yet[&o]. Hang in there, its all part of the game. Shoot as many does as possble to practice up, wait longer to track them...it will all be worth it when you finally get it all right
Old 11-01-2005, 03:42 AM

I feel your pain. I'm new to bow hunting, but I too have wounded two deer so far. The first was a small six point buck that I hit too far forward right in the shoulder. My arrow didn't go in more then an inch. I watched that deer run off with my entire arrow dangling from his shoulder....never found blood and circled the area for over three hours. Everyone told me that I probably didn't kill him. The second deer was a gut shot. I made the mistake of getting out of my stand to quick and jumped something up (probably my deer) anyway never found that one either. I was disappointed, but I tried to look at the good side of it. I've only attempted two shots with a bow, both were hits, my tracking skill and patients are what caused me problems. After reading several forums on here about tracking and waiting long enogh to start tracking, I think I'll do better in the future. I would say don't give up, for me, third time was a charm. I got my first bow kill Saturday. Got a decent 11 point that field dressed at 120lbs. Perfect shot and I watched him drop only 30 yards behind my stand. I still waited for an hour before I got down to check on him. If you really enjoy being in the woods and the thrill of getting them in close and the challenge involved in bow hunting, I'd say stick with it. It will get better.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:19 AM

Mike,

I know exactly how you feel.. I was about to throw in the towel with bow hunting about 5 years ago until I connected for a perfect shot on a 363 pound black bear (no stand)..

What almost caused me to hang up my bow was sickening enough to make a grown man cry. I had a monster buck come within 15 yards of me one morning, (I was on the ground again..I am not fond of treestands). I connected with a pass through shot.. I waited 2 hours and that was the longest 2 hours of my life.. I found the arrow with blood on it. I waited for my father and other relatives to help track as I was not sure exactly where the arrow hit the deer.. It looked like a decent kill shot but you never know. While tracking the deer, we were following a very good blood trail, I had 150% confidence we would find him dead for sure until my dad yells out "wow, look at the size of that buck!"... I took one look and sure enough, we spooked it up and it took off. I went up to the hill where he was standing and there were 2 very large pools of blood where he was bedded down... I followed again for a short distance only to have the trail lead into a field where I swear a UFO came down and picked up this deer. I looked for 3 days with no luck. I back tracked, side tracked, circled around with no luck. It was the largest buck I have ever had the chance of getting a shot at and I still wonder where that deer ran off to. Hang in there and you will succeed.

I agree with everyone here about practing out of your stand wearing the clothes you will be wearing while hunting. Get a range finder and have a buddy move your target around the yard. I have a range finder and my confidence has doubled since the guess work is now gone. I pick out a few trees and remember how far they are. If only those deer would walk by now!