Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Thinking of getting back into bowhunting. >

Thinking of getting back into bowhunting.

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Thinking of getting back into bowhunting.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Thinking of getting back into bowhunting.

I have a 90's vintage Browning Mirage thats been sitting in the case for about 10 years. I know its big and heavy and nowhere near as fast as todays bows. I want to get back into bowhunting but don't want to invest in a new bow right away. I know the string should be the first thing to replace. I'll probably update the arrow rest and sights. Is there anything else I should replace on a bow thats been sitting that long?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2007, 06:52 PM

Default RE: Thinking of getting back into bowhunting.

Honestly I would say take it to your local pro shop now and have them give it the once over.

Waiting until summer to role around will only ensure that the shop will have more customers ahead of you for service. Instead of a 2 day wait, it could be 2 weeks or 2 months.

Best of luck and congratulations on returning to the best sport out there.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Last year my shop started getting busy in May with a season that starts September 15th. It looks like this year it may get busy even earlier becauseI had a very largecrowd in my shop today.

With that in mind, I'd sayyou'vebeengiven some very goodadvice by MDBUCKHUNTER.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:57 AM

have it serviced by you bow shop
Old 04-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Dominant Buck

YUP, do it early. I've been in Len's shop many times over the years when there were people backed up at every counter all wanting sudden service that couldn't possibly be given as there were weeks of customers ahead of them. Everything from arrows, to buying new bows to repair and tune ups on the old ones. Days when Len will work until 10 or 11 at nightjust trying to plug the hole in the dike. There isn't much he can do at that point except keep plugging and tell you there were 200 people a head of you. LOL And yes, he can get cranky then. LOL The closer we move toward the fall the more intense and busy it gets. I've noticed this year that with all the new bows going out his door and new arrows being built, he seems to be peaking a little early. You wait until summer and you'll probably end up waiting until Sept to get it back.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I went through that a few years back. I laid off for thirteen years from bowhunting. I was shooting a bow that was sixteen years old. It workedOK, but before the end of the season, I had invested in a new bow.Even a lower end bow ($200-$300) is a lot better than a bow that is ten to fifteen years old. I don't regret that decision.

Good luck to you!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:40 PM

Yep, new strings and cables, tear it apart, clean and grease it....Give it a good look to makesure the limbs haven't split, that would be bad.....very bad...
Old 04-18-2007, 11:19 AM
Fork Horn

I was in the same situation as you last year. Had a 1993 darton mustang which I used up until 1996. It hung in my closet for 10 yrs until i decided to go bow hunting again. i had those skinny beeman carbon hunter arrowswhich had to be refletched cause the fletching was just so brittle they peeled off. my bow looked ok just needed some wax on the string. I bought a new foam target, shot t/o the summer. i wound up taking 3 deer with the bow. I also realized that my strength and eyesight were not the same therefore I upgraded this year to a ross 337 and a nice bright fiber optic sight. I plan on getting my darton a new string and fiberoptic sightas it will be my back up bow.