HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Thinking about giving up the bow, going back to the gun.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:18 AM
turtleshell

Default RE: Thinking about giving up the bow, going back to the gun.

ORIGINAL: rocketman250r

The one this afternoon I waited about an hour because I thought it was lunged. I started searching right before the sun went down and searched until the battery in my flashlight started going dead. I would have waited longer but there is rain forcast for tomorrow (I really pick great times to wound deer, huh?) and I wanted to at least find a starting point of the trail to determine where the deer was headed after it jumped that fence and got out of my sight

This is something to think about. I have passed up a lot of chances on does because it was getting late in the evening and I didn't want to worry about trying to find them in the dark. Now a big buck is another story.
If you are like me and hunt in the evening after work a lot that is when
you are going to have the most chances; but when it comes to killing does
I prefer to do it on Friday evenings or weekend mornings so I have more time for finding them and getting them out of the woods.

If I wouldn't take the shot on a doe, then I wouldn't take the shot on a buck either. Don't give up man. I couldn't find the first deer (doe) I shot with the bow either. Made a poor hit far back and pushed the deer too early. Tracked for about 400 yars to a river and nothing. The next year I shot another doe, couldnt find it either, Then 6 seasons went by and I recovered all seven deer that I shot, the next year I lost a six point that would've been my biggest bow kill to date. This year missed 2 doesand killed one. I haven't even seen a buck yet[&o]. Hang in there, its all part of the game. Shoot as many does as possble to practice up, wait longer to track them...it will all be worth it when you finally get it all right