Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Scent control question... >

Scent control question...

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Scent control question...

Old 08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scent control question...

I was just wondering to what extent those who deer hunt use scent control? I have only used cover scents. I know a lot of people go to great lengths by using the special laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, deoderant etc. Plus the sent away products. If I spray my clothes down with some scent away will that be enough? Just curious. I also know guys that have hunted their whole lives and are very productive, and they don't use anything. I shot my last deer just using apple scented buck snort. I just put it around my stand, on the tree at the stand, and used a drag rag soaked with it.

chris
Old 08-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Default RE: Scent control question...

I used to do all my hunting in blue jeans and car-harts (sp) and never use any scent stuff at all and kill deer. My main set up now is I have a set of bibs and insulated jacket that I wash at the beginning of season and mid season with a non UV soap. It is scent free, but I do it mainly for the UV reasons. I have a older set of camo's and I was getting busted once in a while, deer would just look right up at me and spook! Found out about how deer see UV real good and started washing my camo in it and now I vary rarely get busted. That is all I do, I still use regular hair soap and regular everything else to. I think scent control is way overrated IMO. But will admit I think it depends on the person to. I have to be super hot and working hard to even break a sweat on my forehead, can't remember the last time I had "wet" arm pits. But some people just think about work and they sweat up a storm and can get a real good stink on after a fresh shower. These people are the ones I think have a problem and maybe need to do more. I think another thing is your area. My area is populated with houses doting that country side. It would be impossible for a deer to not smell something human regularly. Some areas way up in the bush where a deer may have never smelled anything human may have a harder time hunting. Also, the last time I used doe pee was the last time I was followed out of the woods by a buck in the dark! NO thank you!! Also to get back to the topic, I think the scent control market is way overrated IMO, just people cashing in on hungry hunters trying to score. Some of them guys on TV should feel bad about endorsing the jokes that they do IMO!!
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

I use scentless soap, laundry detergent( baking soda works too), deodarant, and fall blend cover spray. I even bought some mouth spray this year to keep in my pack( can't hurt). I swear by rubber boots. I keep my clothes in a tupperware container with dirt scent wafers. I even put my clothes on when I get out of the car. I think the rubber boots are the most important thing for me. Do I need to do all this? No, but I kinda like it. Its a pretty easy switch. Starting oct 1st I just switch to scentless soap and deodarant till the season end and I rarely get scented. Can't hurt nothing but my wallet.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

I think a lot of it depends on where you hunt and the particular deer your hunting. In one of my spot I am in a creek bottom and there is a mother doe that will catch you every time if your not perfectly scent free. I'm always 25 feet up and she still gets me sometimes. I think she goes looking for trouble. I walk up the stream to avoid laying scent down. One day I will try some of that scentlock clothing. I should of shot her a long time ago.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do the shower thing and also wash my cloths once in the begining of the season and use no-scent then I go out and get a shovel full of dirt-leaves and some twiggs put it in the bottom ofa container(plastic tub with lid) and use earth tone biscet's then when Iam done with my 1st trip into the woods I put everything I was wearring into the container and thats my scent free for the rest of the year....I do shower every time beforeI go into the woods and use scentfree deoderant and dont eat anything that will leave a bad oder.........my stands stay in the woods 365 days a year so I dont worry about them........I also stay away from colone durring the Archery season also........my shower towels are washed every time in no-scent and put into a little tub for me to use nxt time..............hasnt failed me yet.........
Old 08-20-2007, 05:06 PM

Since I live in the south I put my clothes in with a bunch of pine straw into a garbage bag and store them like that all year. During hunting season I usually refresh the pine straw every so often but that is about it. I do use scent free shampoo and soapwhen I shower before hunting..
Old 08-20-2007, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like to shower in early morning using unscented soap. I have my washed clothing outside under shed to air out several days before opening day. I go outside wearing my rope and put on all my fresh aired out clothes and rubber boots. Don't use any scents, try my best to sit down or qtring winds.[]
Old 08-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

i have a rock circle in my yard that we cook weenies on for kids etc.
i take wood and pine needles and start fire.
i SMOKE my clothes,then into a plastic bag ..
when i get to woods, i change clothes..
we used to smoke ourselves in woods but DCNR will not let you start a fire now.

it was a lot of fun to start that fire and tell stories while descenting yourself.

i dont use any store bought stuff and use plain unscented dial soap to take bath...

my smoke idea is better than you will ever get from those plastic bottles...
it lasts a long time....

other than that,i use doe in heat in rut but nothing before rut and no rattling of anthlers..
that rattling of antlers is for TV,not for big buck on stateforestland......
Old 08-20-2007, 11:37 PM
Typical Buck

i hang my stands about 25 feet high. have had to butt out a cigarette before i shot most of my deer. the height widens your scent cone and i think the deer would rather smell the smoke than smell a human.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 23 yrs of hunting I dont thinksmokeing has ruined any of my hunts.I also beleave deer dont spook from cig smoke like they would from body oder....After all dont they eat tabbaco plants down south ?,as if that has anything to do with it.....I have seen DRUNK deer when I worked at the beet plant,they jump the fence and drink the ferminted water around the beet piles and man is it funny when they start staggering and falling down.

Quick Reply: Scent control question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.