Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does Vanila really work as a cover scent? >

Does Vanila really work as a cover scent?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does Vanila really work as a cover scent?

Old 10-13-2005, 09:07 AM

Default Does Vanila really work as a cover scent?

I have seen mentioned that some pple use vanila extract as a cover scent. Do you use this along with a scent nuetralizing spray, or does the vanila take the place of it? and if so, how do you make or mix the vanilla extract so u can use it as a spray? But lets say you have been busted by the deer and you was wearing the vanilla, wouldnt they associate the vanilla with you after that?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does Vanila really work as a cover scent?

I've heard of vanilla being used as an early season attractant / curiosity scent, but never as a cover scent. I think the idea is to use like you would a doe-in-heat scent or something like that. Put canisters out at 20-30yds. I tried it many years ago and got NO reaction whatsoever.

Now I just go as scent free as possible and don't give the deer anything strong to smell that might make them try to smell me! I don't believe cover scents can work anyway because deer can easily distinguish many scents at the same time.

... Shockwave
Old 10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Does Vanila really work as a cover scent?

I don't know about vanilla. I agree that instead of a cover scent, it would be more of an attractant.
For me, I keep things simple. I don't use carbon suits or spray or anything like that.
The one and only thing I do is, well maybe two, I always try to shower before hunting with a scent eliminator, but I don't always have time.
For my clother, I seal them in a plastic bag with these scent wafers. I believe they are made by HS Scent. I get them at Walmart and use the dirt scent. It smells like dirt. Thus far, I have never had a dear smell me. I've had themunder and around me, but they haven't seemed to smell me, even after sweating, some times alot.
I do try to watch the wind, but that isn't always possible.
Being still and quiet is often what is most important.
I like to keep things simple, in fact, I've never had much noticable luck with doe in heat scents. Find a travel route, get out of sight, stay still and quite, and wait for the shot.