Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scent killer or cover scent..... >

scent killer or cover scent.....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent killer or cover scent.....

Old 08-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default scent killer or cover scent.....

as many of you know im going to be bowhunting for the first time this coming season. (my bow should arrive hopefully tomarrow!!) i know a major part of bowhunting is getting close to the deer. although ive had ALOT and ALOT of deer within typical 30yd or less bow range in my life and NEVER used scent killer or cover scent etc.....i was thinking MAYBE i should...just to be safe....and particularly kill the scent BEFORE i walk in being alot of my bigger deer ill be after will be on VERY small pieces of private land. pieces of woods between housing plans etc where you can be smelled from anywhere....and most the deer half to cross your trail before getting to your stand etc...so i figured id ask...if you guys could have only one or 2 scent killers or covers what would you pick??? im not looking to wash my clothes in dirt and stuff like that....just a good spray or something easy and simple...nothing thats going to cost an arm and a leg.....im still not convinced i NEED it..ive killed 10 deer in my life and only 2 come to mind that were farther then 40yds away. just looking for extra protection without a scent lock suit etc...you get the idea......
Old 08-01-2006, 04:04 PM

Default RE: scent killer or cover scent.....

That's a pretty darn good question, actually. I used to use cover scents, but I am now of the OPINION it is better to smell like nothing. I've used fresh earth, Essence of Autumn, and other "natural" cover scents. I've seen more deer since I applied the theory of not smelling like anything. Maybe being a better hunter is more reason for that, but douse myself in scent killer and get on with it.

If you decide to use cover scents, obviously don't use something that is
"strange" to the area. Such as pine scent in a place where there are no pines, that sort of thing.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Dominant Buck

I use both descenting spray as well as cover scents like Deer Dander , I think they help somewhat when the wind doesn't want to cooperate . It's impossible to smell like nothing completely , so the cover scent fills the gap .
Old 08-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

With so many products on the market any young novice would be confused on where to begin.
Wash your hunting clothes with a good sent killing soap like Wildlife Reserach or Dead DownWind , its up to you.
Dry outside then spray them with a UV killer , after that put them in a large garbage bag ( sent free ) but if you want your clothes smelling like the woods then put alittle dirt, maybe some pine cones ,needles and acorns that kinda thing ya know.
Like I said theres alot of sent products out there from cover to attractants, you don't need a Sent Blocker Suit but they do make'em light whight and in asst. camo patterens the choice is yours to make.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...maybe ill try a few things this fall. im just worried about that one time the wind isnt perfect....or when that brute crosses my trail and picks me off....
Old 08-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

As scentless as possible, I love Scent Killer.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:26 PM

LOL.....buddy, when you figure out how to control the wind currents, you be sure to let us know! Just don't make yerself sick.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

im not trying to control the currents at all....just something that will help when the wind is wrong or swirling......i know nothing will work perfectly and my setup etc as well as the wind will still play part......but a little added protection cant hurt...cant fool mother nature....
Old 08-01-2006, 09:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

if you guys could have only one or 2 scent killers or covers what would you pick???
I'd pick what I use: HS Scents Scent-A-Way spray, and Fresh Earth scent wafers.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

I've been using Wildlife Research Center's "Scent Killer" Autumn formula religiously for several years. It seems to work pretty well. I go thru a quart a year or so, spraying down everytime I put my hunting clothes on and then respraying periodically while on stand if it's hot out. It is a little of both ... a scent killer and a light cover scent.

http://www.wildlife.com/catalog_newproducts.htm#scenteliminators

... Shockwave

Quick Reply: scent killer or cover scent.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.