Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Thanks (What to do after the shot) >

Thanks (What to do after the shot)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Thanks (What to do after the shot)

Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default Thanks (What to do after the shot)

I just wanted to thank my good friend Rob ( /PA bowyer )for his post on what to do after the shot...The reason is my brother shot a really nice 5 point in Pa on Monday..The shot was pretty much under his stand with the arrow placement right between the shoulders exiting out the right side of his chest(with the left side of his vertabre shattered)...He shot at 7:30am, climbed down at 8:00am checked the arrow and for blood, which was everywhere..He came up to get me and we started to trail from the spot of the shot at 8:30...We trailed the buck with about a 12 inch wide blood trail for a little over 100 yards..The buck never leaped or ran kept a steady walk, I told my brother we would stop our pursuit and hold up for another hour..We took up the trail after our wait and believe it or not we recovered the buck another 500 plus yards away still with a wide blood trail and a steady walk..The point is no matter how seasoned we all are a post like " what to do after the shot " is a great reminder for all on how not to get pushy and let our adrenilin get in our way of our main goal of recovering our game..The reminder helped me help my brother recover a very nice 5 point..So thanks again to Rob Poorman my hunting partner, and to all of the other true sportsman on this forum for posting such great tips,ideas and there own hunting experiances.The trophy isn't always the size of the game it was the experiance I shared with brother in the recovery..
Old 10-06-2005, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Thanks (What to do after the shot)

Great post and a great job on your part in tracking that animal. You did all the right things and it paid off. My hat goes off to you.
Old 10-07-2005, 01:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Glad it worked put amd congrates
Old 10-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

No thanks needed here. If the Thread helps just one hunter find his animal every year then it's totally worth it. I appreciate all the praise but I'm just hoping that it helps someone. After hunting and trailing bow shot whitetails for more than 20 years, ya pick up a thing or two not to mention that many years of reading and research. Like I said in the thread, I'm not the trailing guru(sp) but the threads meant for a starting point and all the fantastic advice that everyone contributes is what makes it an outstanding thread.....Next season I'll try to incorporate everyone elses advice and tweak it that much more....have a great season and find them whitetails....

On a side not, Q2inwhitetails, can't wait to share a tree with ya and film that over the shoulder shot.....thanks for the phone call.