Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 somebody please talk me out of it >

somebody please talk me out of it

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

somebody please talk me out of it

Old 09-30-2005, 02:29 PM

Default RE: somebody please talk me out of it

I've let MANY deer walk because I didn't have the right angle on them. I proclaim it a successful hunt, if I get that close to them, and they don't sense me....

I am terrified of wounding one. I only shoot if it's a sure kill.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 PM

Think of how sick you'll get when you find his blood, track him for two days, and finally have to give up because of weather or something. I've missed one animal my whole life, and it was a clean miss, and that made me sick to my stomach. I will only pull the trigger/let fly if I know that shot's going to kill the animal cleanly. Period. People who do otherwise make me nauseous.

I've let a couple of really, really nice bucks walk because I couldn't stop shaking, or the shot was too far, or whatever. I am determined to never, ever have a bleeding deer that I can't find.
Old 09-30-2005, 06:19 PM

I don't shoot any shot on a big buck that I wouldn't shoot on a doe. Most will say heck if it's a buck I'm shooting but then they tell you if it was a doe they would let it walk. So take care and good luck..
Old 09-30-2005, 07:13 PM

I just close my eyes and take a deep but quite big breath.Hold it for a count of 5 then open and focus.Just remember it will step out from behind that tree.If you messed it up and hit the tree you could wound him and he WONT be back.So just remember no shot is worth taking if there is a risk involved of the arrow not having a clean path the deer.